Thread: the danger of electric blankets

Exclamation the danger of electric blankets

Just be very careful and considerate with electric blankets!

In the thread How cold is it in NZ ? it was said
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    ... As for heating, forget the expensive plug in oil filled radiators or even the heat pumps. At 26 - 30 cents per kWh they are too much. We use electric blankets (shutting off the heat pump before we run into bed)....
    A first reply was
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    This is bad advice, for a number of reasons:
    1/ Electric blankets are only designed to warm a bed and should NEVER be on while sleeping.
    2/ If a blanket becomes bunched up or malfunctions there is an overheating or broken wire hazard that could result in creating a fire.
    3/ Because of the above, it is NOT recommended that infants and small children use electric blankets.
    A second reply came from in which I quoted as below
    Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    ...Check this site from Fire Service http://www.fire.org.nz/Fire-Safety/F...your-home.aspx
    'Worn and old electric blankets can cause electric shock, fire and possibly even death.

• Have your electric blanket tested annually by a qualified electrician.
    • Turn off the electric blanket power when you get into bed.
    • Do not place heavy objects on the bed while the electric blanket is turned on.
    • Ensure electric blanket controls are not twisted or caught between the mattress and base.
    • Make sure the electric blanket is tightly secured and laid flat on the bed.
    • When not in use, store your electric blanket rolled up, NOT folded.
    • Electric blankets are not recommended for use by babies or young children as “bed-wetting” may occur.'

There are some electric blankets available which have an "all night mode" that can be used whilst sleeping.
    Check the manufacturers instructions.

There are also extra low voltage blankets available such as the econoheat electric blanket.
    It's even machine washable.

Nick..

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Our electric blanket has a timer that switches it off after a set amount of time. It does allow for 12 hours but we never have it on more than the 1 or 5-hour setting (and switching it off when we get into bed if we use the latter).

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    There are some electric blankets available which have an "all night mode" that can be used whilst sleeping.
    Check the manufacturers instructions.

There are also extra low voltage blankets available such as the econoheat electric blanket.
    It's even machine washable.

Nick..
    That's the manufacturer saying not the fire servic isn't it? And manufacturers want to sell, don't they?!

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    That's the manufacturer saying not the fire servic isn't it? And manufacturers want to sell, don't they?!
    Well the fire service mainly claims that old and/or faulty electric blankets are cause for concern. It doesn't say anywhere that new and properly used and functioning ones are a risk.

I for one am exceedingly attached to my electric blanket, and wouldn't be without it. I do use it properly, it is less than ten years old, and I'm not too worried

Daniela

Wearing socks actually makes me switch off the electric blanket within 20 minutes plus keeps me warm for the whole night.