Thread: Document translation

Default Document translation

Hello,
    I am moving to NZ and I was thinking about taking with me translated copies of my documents(birth certificate,passport..), will a local translation work or do I have to translate the documents in NZ to be accepted over there?
    thanks

It has to be done by a professional translator, but it doesn't matter in which country.

When you bring local translations you have to make sure that they are certified (can be called 'sworn' as well) so you have to find a translator who can deliver this type of translation. In my case I had to pay twice for a few documents; for the translation and for taking it to court to get it sworn.

In NZ you can take your documents to an approved certified translator straight away, their translations are automatically certified. If you have a lot of paperwork to be done at once you can probably negotiate a good deal for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kath View Post
    When you bring local translations you have to make sure that they are certified (can be called 'sworn' as well) so you have to find a translator who can deliver this type of translation. In my case I had to pay twice for a few documents; for the translation and for taking it to court to get it sworn.

In NZ you can take your documents to an approved certified translator straight away, their translations are automatically certified. If you have a lot of paperwork to be done at once you can probably negotiate a good deal for it too.
    Can you please tell me what is the cost per document?

The cost will vary from translator to translator and usually depends on the number of words, except for the standard documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, drivers license because they can use templates with only the key details for this.

Like everything in NZ, it is definitely worth it to shop around and negotiate the best possible deal for yourelf. I contacted a few translators that came up in my Google search and sent them all the same email in which I explained what exactly I wanted, asked for prices and simply asked them as well what they could do for me, given the number of documents and the amount of work. I picked the one that replied first and until today I still don't regret that choice. It was a nice cooperation and in the end it turned out to be very affordable as well.
    if you're interested, I can PM you the details of the translator so you can have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kath View Post
    The cost will vary from translator to translator and usually depends on the number of words, except for the standard documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, drivers license because they can use templates with only the key details for this.

Like everything in NZ, it is definitely worth it to shop around and negotiate the best possible deal for yourelf. I contacted a few translators that came up in my Google search and sent them all the same email in which I explained what exactly I wanted, asked for prices and simply asked them as well what they could do for me, given the number of documents and the amount of work. I picked the one that replied first and until today I still don't regret that choice. It was a nice cooperation and in the end it turned out to be very affordable as well.
    if you're interested, I can PM you the details of the translator so you can have a look.
    Thanks for your reply, please send me the details.

In Wellington we used the Translation Service at the Ministry for Internal Affairs http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument

$50 for a simple document, eg birth certificate and overseas driving licence.