Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrible Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
    How's your NZ winter weather so far? I'm guessing better than summer here so far. Rain, gray skies, cold, windy and more rain and more cold, then more wind, more gray skies and more cold winds. And, please, puuleeeease spare us just for once stuff about cold houses. I know it, you know it, everybloody one who reads this forum knows it and we need to hear it again like we need to get holes drilled in our heads. It's booooooring. Just let's hear about the weather for once, and how you people in NZ are enjoying your winter outdoors, or not.
    I like that, I am sick of it too, probably because when I left England in the 1960s it was exactly like that, I always did and still do like to have my bedroom window open just a little bit even in the winter, would not like to be sealed up like in a coffin. things must have changed a lot since I left so here goes.
    Temp today in Auckland was 17o in the day and 10o in the night its the shortest day tomorrow the forcast was for rain all day but as often happens we had a few showers with some sun in between, thats about it. We live on the northern side of the hill so get less wind, rain, mould and all those things people complain about, it would be difficult to get a rental in the right place, but when you buy take your compass.

Currently reminds me of Scotland...damp and cold...but I know that it will change and become warm and sunny soon......not 6 months of gloom. My colleagues here cannot believe it when I tell them the weather used to be damp, rainy, wet and windy for months on end without seeing the sun in the winter.....here the sun never disappears for long. It's cold but you wear a jumper or two and rug up...problem solved!

In Auckland winter this year has so far been warmer and drier than in previous years....long may it last!!! This week we've had some rain, but the monsoon-like winter rain doesn't seem to have hit yet, so although it has been grey and soggy, it has at least been pretty warm. Last week it was cold but very clear and sunny. We had (on the North Shore) one night down to -1 degrees, and two nights where it went down to 1-2 degrees, but the frost quickly vanished in the morning and was followed by a lovely sunny day.

It was tipping down in Porirua last night yay! (I love the rain )

I still haven't put a coat on this winter, I don't know whether it'll strike me as cold next year, when we've got used to the NZ weather but so far it's like an English spring here in Hawkes Bay. It's definitely not mid-winter as I know it! Nights are cold yes, but days are mostly sunny and I'm still getting 2+ loads of washing a day dry on the line and we're still hitting the beach most weekends/park after school. It does rain but it's not the all day long, grey rain I'm used to - it belts it down and then it's done for the day. I like it!

Whereas a Wellington winter is like a British autumn, minus the leaves changing colour. Quite why I have volunteered to do two mid-winter dips this weekend is beyond me though.

Been running around 10C during the night here the last few nights and upto 17C during the day here in Tauranga. Had a little ground frost early mornings last weekend but was gone by 9am when the sun came out. Winter has been pretty mild up to now, very little use of the log burner or any other heaters. Must admit i no longer miss the central heating and double glazing. Been here nearly 4 years and (touching wood) not had a cold or chest infection at all.........UK i used to have colds 3 or 4 times a year.

My boyfriend and I are doing the winter hop and heading back to Canada for a few months to visit. Auckland's first day of winter was 3 degrees warmer than the first day of summer in St. John's. All the stuff about cold damp houses aside, I don't think I can ever complain about the weather! I think I saw more sun in the apparently crappy summer in Auckland than I have the past three years in Newfoundland.

"Winter hop" indeed...

We're moving to north island next month from sunny 32 degrees Singapore. Hmm... so when does it start to get warm again?

Roughly towards October end, take special note that humidity sometimes reaches 100% during Christmas (something you wont miss from Singapore )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12