Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Tasman Area Advise Please.

Default Nelson Tasman Area Advise Please.

We are considering a move north into the Nelson Tasman area, we are both 'young' retired and are interested in hearing about good areas to live that have a great community feel. Family have mentioned Motueka, and as we do not work, we do not need to live in central Nelson, preferring communities round the edges. Does anyone know anything about Atawhai please? If we move it will be to gain a view, rural or water, on a north(ish) facing area. We currently live 30 minutes from Christchurch, and our family have now moved away from the area so we are looking for a new episode in our N.Z. Story. Thank you.

We have lived in Atawhai (Dodson Valley) for 4 years now and are quite happy here - close enough to town to be convenient but quiet with better views and bigger sections. My wife and daughter bike to work/school, we have a nice veggie garden and a new house with good insulation and heating at a reasonable price, as well as sheep and cows across the valley and views to Abel Tasman and Kahurangi NP over Tasman Bay. About the only disadvantage is that a lot of our activities (horse riding and road bike racing) are mostly done in Tasman. There are still sections available on the hills and houses (from older kiwi style to brand new) come on the market regularly.

It is worth noting that most of the Atawhai neighbourhoods from Brooklands Road through Marybank are on hills - the only significant flat area is below us in Dodson Valley, so if you want a flat section the choices can be limited. That said, the hills aren't Dunedin/Wellington steep so you will still get a decent garden on most sections.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    We are considering a move north into the Nelson Tasman area, we are both 'young' retired and are interested in hearing about good areas to live that have a great community feel. Family have mentioned Motueka, and as we do not work, we do not need to live in central Nelson, preferring communities round the edges. Does anyone know anything about Atawhai please? If we move it will be to gain a view, rural or water, on a north(ish) facing area. We currently live 30 minutes from Christchurch, and our family have now moved away from the area so we are looking for a new episode in our N.Z. Story. Thank you.
    Atawhai is on the outskirts of Nelson and is quite beautiful. Someone else on this forum lives in that area and can tell you more about what it's like to live in that specific part of Nelson Bays.

Motueka is a lovely little town but not that desirable for a lot of people because it has a history of being a rough town. To me, this is a real "kiwi" kind of town and extremely underrated. The main industries are Talley's fishing and agriculture (apples and hops). There are also a lot of people who are interested in eco-living and organics and that type of thing. It makes for an interesting mix of characters. As it is on an estuary there isn't a lot of waterfront property and some of it is on SH6. Mot is a small town but still has some of the big box stores like New World, Countdown, Warehouse, and Mitre10. The Mot river valley is amazing and that includes Brooklyn, Pokororo, and Ngatimoti. There are a lot of sustainable living communities in that area. Riwaka is a lovely agricultural place adjacent to Mot on the way to Kaiteriteri.

Kaiteriteri is a beautiful area with lots of rural homes, beachfront and hilltop. There are amazing golden beaches and beautiful native flora and fauna. It is really like a settled version of Abel Tasman.

The Ruby Coast includes Mapua, Tasman, Kina Beach, Ruby Bay and all have waterfront living and are semi-rural. The Moutere hills, including Upper Moutere, Tasman, Dovedale have views of both the Nelson ranges and the Richmond ranges as well as Tasman Bay. This is truly the sunniest part of Nelson/Tasman. Mapua is the centre of this region, with quite a few shops and restaurants and a 4square. There are lots of wineries through this area. There is a perceived contrast between working class Mot and trendy Ruby Coast that is a bit of ugly classism and snobbery. However, Mapua truly is a lovely community. Currently they are raising funds for the community owned townhall that will be awesome when it is finished. 10 minutes away is the Moutere Hills Community Centre that is a great resource.

Golden Bay is an amazing, if isolated, piece of paradise. It's an hour and a bit from Motueka to Takaka over a twisty hill. It's another place with an interesting mix of dairy farmers and environmentalists. It is a lot more rainy than the rest of Nelson Bays but it is so beautiful. It is a very tight knit and close community. Rugby is king. Drink driving is a problem. Whitebait is plentiful.

In the summer, the entire Tasman region is busy and bustling and full of tourists. It's quiet and beautiful the rest of the year.

Forgot to say, most of these Tasman towns (not Golden Bay) also have views of Nelson and are Northeast facing.

We looked at Motueka, there is much to like, property is relativity cheap and its has a "bohemian" vibe. But settled for Marlborough in the end.

Hate to say it, but Motueka and Nelson has its rough sides, which usually keeps itself to itself (trash vs trash), but its hard to ignore the local papers headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    Hate to say it, but Motueka and Nelson has its rough sides, which usually keeps itself to itself (trash vs trash), but its hard to ignore the local papers headlines.
    I'm sorry, but that is a pretty broad brush to apply to a region - I would seriously question any assertion that the Nelson "rough" side is atypical or worse than other areas in New Zealand (or elsewhere in the world for that matter). If you didn't choose to live here, so be it, but don't sling mud.

Don't get all huffy, I am hardly slinging mud, just expressing my opinion.

Have a look at the front page of the Nelson Mail today, a flippin car drove into the Nelson ANZ and the driver came from Motueka http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...up-inside-bank.

The most exciting thing that happen in Blenheim was the Mistletoe Market over the weekend.

So I rest my case.

Plus we have more sunshine hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    We looked at Motueka, there is much to like, property is relativity cheap and its has a "bohemian" vibe. But settled for Marlborough in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dbonnett View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is a pretty broad brush to apply to a region - I would seriously question any assertion that the Nelson "rough" side is atypical or worse than other areas in New Zealand (or elsewhere in the world for that matter). If you didn't choose to live here, so be it, but don't sling mud.
    Ahhh, see? You are both true top of the south New Zealanders. This is the argument that gets played out over and over.

The truth is, Marlborough has its share of crime. My in-laws have lived there for 25 years (they moved from Motueka for a promotion and never left) and it's a lovely area but not for everyone. I felt stifled living there but love love love visiting.

Also, it's pretty common to slag off Motueka.

So, well done you two, you are continuing the never-ending battle between Nelson/Tasman and Marlborough!

At least we can all cheer for the Makos.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 3rd December 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Two things:
    One, if we are going to slag the other environs, at least our idiots don't fall asleep in the middle of the road while drunk driving: http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-e...e-his-children
    A Blenheim man was caught driving after smoking cannabis when he fell asleep in his car in the middle of State Highway 1. Quinn Ronald Warman, 38, unemployed of Riverlands, admitted a charge of driving under the influence of drugs, his third drink- or drug-driving offence. He was sentenced to nine months' supervision, 80 hours' community work and disqualified from driving for one year and one day.
    At an earlier court hearing, Warman admitted charges of possessing less than 1 gram of cannabis and possessing knives, from the same incident on September 15. The drug-driving charge was delayed while police waited for the results of a blood test.
    Mr Lucas said Warman fell asleep in his car in the middle of the left-hand lane on State Highway 1 after he stopped to roll a cigarette about 2.15am on September 15.
    Two - we are well ahead of *you* on the sunshine hours (ok, not so much compared to Whakatane..): 2311 hours Nelson to 2189 Blenheim as of end of November (ciflo.niwa.co.nz is my source). I won't even go into the issue of wind (you lose there as well)

Oh, please that story was from the 14th of Nov! The guy feel asleep in his car, your guy drove into the bank. Although I bank with the ANZ, so I can understand his rage.

The sunshine hours does not count in a La Niņa year and all this wind comes from the NW, which is where Nelson is.

Marlborough rules.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast