Thread: Taupo

Default Taupo

Well, I came to Chch and have got a job in Taupo.

Can anybody who lives there tell me the bare bones of what its like?? Preferably there is an absence of bars with pokie machines ???

Thanks

And of course I came here with an open mind, but there are the gangs!!

Hi Mark..Im just about to move to Gisborne from Manchester but ive been Taupo a few times before and i liked it.Nice little town centre with some decent shops and cafe type thingys and all that...it has one of NZ best public toilets i think ;-) The lake is cool and plenty of places to visit within a few hours.... at a guess id say beats Chch as not big and better scenery!

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by markgrange View Post
    Well, I came to Chch and have got a job in Taupo.

Can anybody who lives there tell me the bare bones of what its like?? Preferably there is an absence of bars with pokie machines ???

Thanks

I live in Taupo, I came over from Canada in July and love it... Taupo is a tourist town and has many motels and hotels. The population probably doubles in the summer. As far as bars and pokie machines .... there are heaps of them,
    Cheers

Taupo is a rather tourist town that kinda swells in population during the busy summer or winter season. Very pretty and quite well-located if you like to go tramping, fishing, skiiling, anything to do with the great outdoors but expensive in my view as it is rather a town that caters to the tourist dollar the way Queenstown is.

Lots of bars in the main CBD and it can get quite ruckus in the late night, as we found out during new year's eve, when we stayed up to watch the fireworks. A street fight happening right in front of our car on the main road- 2 teens beating each other silly and a large group yelling and screaming urging them on. Fortunately they courteously moved off in a few minutes to allow us to drive pass.