Thread: Pension and Kiwisaver

Default Pension and Kiwisaver

I have been trying to get my head round how pensions work in NZ and am really struggling - to be honest I don't understand them in the UK either so it's not the best of starting points!

I am applying for jobs with the civil service. Assuming I get a job with them is there the equivalent of the civil service pension scheme that we have in the UK - i.e. one that is run by the employer and that you and they pay into? Or is this Kiwisaver? If not what is Kiwisaver and how does it work? - I've read the website but it was either too complicated for me to understand or top level government speak.

I have a couple of small bits of stakeholder pensions from different schemes (we're talking no more than 4 years in total so not very much money at all). Are there similar stakeholder pensions in NZ or not?

Can anyone recommend someone to talk to about what on earth to do with my pension bits? They aren't worth much so I'm loathed to pay much to speak to someone.

Thank you!
    Laura

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I'd recommend PMing teamplayer2003. He can help you on the pension equivalents over here.

As for a civil service pension scheme, there used to be a state sector superannuation scheme but that is closed to new applicants. Basically each public sector agency now has its own options. I've had experience with three public agencies and they've all had different provisions. My current employer is the best of the three (I wasn't employed by the others but worked with them last year) and they pay $1.50 for every $1 you pay into your super account, up to a max of 9% of your salary (so you pay 6%). Others will simply pay into your Kiwisaver. It just depends on their own policies.