Thread: Wanaka vs Queenstown (for families)

Default Wanaka vs Queenstown (for families)

We've lived in Dunedin for about 2.5 years and consider it "home". At the same time, though, we're in love with the Southern Alps, and with 2 toddlers, the 4 hour drive from Dunedin to Wanaka and Queenstown is a bit tortuous. We're considering moving out to Wanaka or Queenstown, and are at the stage of considering the pros and cons of those places.

Wanaka
    We spent 4 months in Wanaka last summer and loved it. Compared to Dunedin, Wanaka seems a lot more child-friendly in terms of outdoor activities: biking, hiking, and water sports. The trails in Wanaka are flat, the lake is safer than the ocean, and bikes don't have to share the road with cars as much as in Dunedin.

However, there doesn't seem to be very much to do when it rains. There's the pool and the library, but those are really the only things we know. Are there other activity centers where kids and/or adults congregate during the rainier stretches? Or is it pretty much every family for itself?

Queenstown
    I personally don't like crowds, so the Queenstown shopping district always rubs me the wrong way. However, I enjoy Queenstown Gardens, the lakefront trails, and the trail up to the gondola. Last weekend we noticed an ice rink and lawn bowling, both of which were full of activity, which was cool.

Since Queenstown is bigger than Wanaka, our assumption is that there are more activities for kids and families. However, we've never actually seen many family activities in Queenstown; it seems to be dominated by tourists. So where do the families hang out? Frankton? Or are there no real family neighborhoods around there?

Dunedin
    I'm mentioning Dunedin simply to point my observations. We live in Northeast Valley, which is a mix of students, retired people, working class, and professionals. It's a strange mix, not nearly as "yuppy" as Wanaka. Our area has a great sense of community (lots of activities, especially for kids) and the university is always a source of entertainment and action.

However, Dunedin's houses are old, cold, and typically have horrible layouts, and there aren't the same picture-perfect neighborhoods that we see in Wanaka, where each cul de sac seems to have its own playground or at least a walking trail to one nearby.

As our kids get older, we want them to have more and more freedom to play outside. To us, Wanaka seems like the safest, easiest "big kids' playground" for them. At the same time, we realize that job opportunities are scarcer there (which doesn't really apply to me, since I work at home, but will apply to my partner), and there's that rainy day issue. And we really don't know anything about the "family" areas in Queenstown, since we've never seen them.

The Question
    So we're wondering what your thoughts are on Queenstown vs Wanaka (vs Dunedin) for families. How do their schools compare? How safe are they? How much freedom do the kids get to run around?

Thanks!
    Last edited by denalipop; 2nd October 2012 at 09:04 PM.

NEV is not really representative for Dunedin, isn't it? So before you break it down further, I suggest you try getting some other insights from different areas here. That's one point, the other would be: What when your kids get older again...?

NEV seems typical of Dunedin in terms of house quality, at least in terms of the older houses, which dominate Dunedin. Hallways and rooms are small, windows are single-paned, insulation tends to be limited to ceilings, heat is usually via fireplace or heat pump. Ceilings tend to be high, making it difficult to heat the entire house, so to keep all the rooms warm, people tend to use oil fin heaters. Many houses are in shade much of the day, making them cold, and after rains, the yards tend to stay soggy. Most biking and walking is along the roads, making it not very safe for little kids.

Wanaka's houses are newer, and tend to be more spacious, with open plans. Bathrooms tend to be unified, yards are wider and flatter. Walking and biking paths abound, making it easier to avoid roads. Traffic is less, the playground-to-house ratio is higher, and neighborhoods feel less cramped and more like the popular "suburban" neighborhoods of the States.

Houses in downtown Queenstown are older and more similar to Dunedin than Wanaka. We haven't seen any in the Frankton area, so are curious about those.

If you look at house rental photos on trademe you can see the contrast in houses being offered at the same price.

What we're really curious about are the activities available to kids (of varying ages) and families in Wanaka and Queenstown.
    Last edited by denalipop; 7th October 2012 at 09:52 AM.