Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two and a half days to get a feel for Wellington

Question Two and a half days to get a feel for Wellington

In a week, I am heading over to Wellington for a job interview. I arrive first thing on Monday and have Tuesday and Wednesday free for exploring before the interviews on Thursday/Friday. I am feeling slightly overwhelmed by all that Wellington has to offer and was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the top things to do to get a good feel for the city - the one to live in and not just visit - in just a couple of days.

Visiting the Te Papa Museum, riding the Cable Car and sampling some of the local coffee houses are already on the list.

Thanks,

Rich

We became enamored with Wellington after a very short visit in '06...we went to TePapa and Zealandia (it was called Karori Reserve at the time) but mostly we walked the city in the day and night. Cuba St, Manners St., Courtenay St. and all along the water were the areas we were most drawn to. Most of the night life is on Courtenay; especially Courtenay and Tory. Courtenay also has excellent restaurants, especially for dinner. Cuba St. has tons of shopping; much of it funky and off the wall. (our favorite coffee shop, Fidel's, is up Cuba a way, but is always worth visiting.) Manners has nice restaurants, especially for lunch, and a big new/used book store called Arty Bees. A walk along the waterfront seems to bring something different every time. There is a skate park, museums (like TePapa), cafes, entertainers, small shops, and nice views.
    I've neglected Lambton Quay; it has excellent shopping and reminds me of a very, very, long mall. The people watching on the Quay is quite good.
    Anyway, these are the things that appeal to us, I hope you find them helpful.

Thanks! That does sound right up my street. (No pun intended.) Sadly, my wife won't be coming over with me this time, so I need to make sure I take lots of notes (and photos!) of the key places. I like to walk around a place to get a feel for it and it is good to have it confirmed that Wellington suits this approach.

When we were trying to get feel for whether we wanted to live in Wellington we explored a couple of the suburbs too - to see where/how people live. If you fancied this but with limited time I would suggest a trip on the bus to Island Bay. There's a nice beach there and good fish and chips - although this may not be the weather for fish and chips on the beach!

Thanks for the tip. Having grown up in a British seaside town, I'm not averse to a spot of winter fish 'n' chips on the beach! (Quite a good solo meal, too.)

We liked the new cathedral, and the old cathedral, all wood, is wonderfully atmospheric. It's fantastic that local opinion made it be kept, and restored, NOT demolished and the land sold off.

(The day we went there, there was a very dedicated volunteer guide, who welcomed every group of people politely, and was ready to give information. He overheard the two of us talking about the fact that there used to be an organ, which has been removed - we have an interest in organs. He came and told us that it had been worked by water power, and, though the organ was gone, if we liked, he could show us the water connection. We imagined some interesting mechanism. He led us round the corner and announced proudly, 'Here it is,' and we found ourselves faced with, sticking out of a piece of wall, what looked like an old-fashioned domestic tap! It may surprise you, but neither of us seems to have taken a photo of it. )

Hi Rich,
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I'd being doing all my planning based on moving to Auckland but hubby keeps seeing jobs based in Wellington ( hes an IT network enginer/team lead).

My only problem is our 1st and only trip (2006) to Welly put us off slightly. It was wet and miserable and it was the first place we saw beggars on the street. However we did do the botantics which were lovely and skimmed past some of the downtown shopping. I really think we owe Welly another chance and to do a non tourist trip which should help us weigh up what it is we want from a base.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagesofdoom View Post
    I am feeling slightly overwhelmed by all that Wellington has to offer and was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the top things to do to get a good feel for the city - the one to live in and not just visit
    Not specific to Wellington, but I normally just like to walk around in new places. Look at different neighbourhoods, go shopping in a local supermarket, take a bus, have a coffee around lunchtime in a busy area, have a look at the station if you think you will be commuting, and as someone else suggested, maybe a couple of suburbs at different ends of the city.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a museum to find out if I could live in a place, that wouldn't influence my decision one way or the other (although Te Papa should take you all of about an hour, so you could probably squeeze it in ).

Normally, I wouldn't even suggest the cable car, but it actually gives a good view over the place so that armed with a map, you might be able to get a better impression of where places are, just how hilly it is,etc.

Good luck,

Daniela

Rich, let us know if you want to meet up during your visit.
    If you make one more post, you will be able to send and receive private messages.

Check out the train station and take a walk around the Beehive.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast