Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving to NZ, any advice? :)

Default Thinking about moving to NZ, any advice? :)

Hi Guys,

OK, well firstly I’m new to the site and I decided to join as I’m looking for all sorts of information on New Zealand as I’m thinking about making a possible move out there from the UK.

Ever since I can remember I’ve always enjoyed the thought of moving to New Zealand for many reasons, the main one being that I have heard so many wonderful things. As many are aware, the current financial cloud hovering over Europe is not good, and it doesn’t appear to be shifting anytime soon. Therefore, I’ve recently considered making this ambition a reality, a chance to start a new life which I have desired for so long. I have no financial or family commitments (mortgages and children etc.), I’m currently single and I’m still in my mid-twenties.

At the moment I currently work in the construction industry doing anything I can lay my hands on. However, by trade I am a fully qualified carpenter where I have completed a three year apprenticeship gaining my level 2 and 3 qualifications. On top of that, I’m currently studying a bridging course (BTEC National) to a HNC in construction management. I’m not sure how much weight these qualifications hold out there, but I’m not too fused as I’m happy to turn my hand to anything.

I’ve never actually been to New Zealand before, so before making such a huge commitment I have set myself some goals to help me decide if this could be the right choice for me. Firstly, I’m planning on getting the money together to take a lengthy holiday out there next year so I can get a general feel for the place (people, cities and sites etc.). If that’s goes well, then my next idea was to apply for a working holiday visa and carrying out a ‘real life test’ if that’s what you want to call it, see what work opportunities are like and neighbourhoods.

So if anyone has any further advice they could offer me such as do’s and don’ts, things I've maybe missed or perhaps just share their own experience, it would all really help .

Thanks

Glenn
    Last edited by Chippie86; 17th November 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Hello and welcome.

Hello & welcome!

P

I gotta make this quick, but you are where I was about two years ago. Between my girlfriend and I(no kids or mortages; both finished with school for now), we did a lot of research and we also had very different situations trying to immigrate due to our skillsets and visa types. But, we made it all happen and so far, it has been everything we expected and then some. We didn't visit first, which made for a few surprises, but by and large you can get a good feel for anyplace on the globe these days simply through online resources like Google Earth and forums and the like. It's a big chunk of change to visit and then return, so if you were to visit and then stay that might work out nicely without total commitment.

Check with the NZQA to see if your present qualifications/certs might transfer:

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/

I had to get my bachelor's degree accredited for my visa, and while it was slow, it worked and got me in. I don't think that you'll need to get your qualifications assessed for a working holiday visa and at your age, but it might help you in other ways.

I am sure that with your skillsets, you would be able to get a job in Christchurch are without any trouble. There is still a lot of rebuilding/dismantling going on after the earthquakes, and skills like you have are in short supply.

Start early in getting your visa; there can be a lot of correspondence that takes longer than you might think.

Hope that helps a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post

I am sure that with your skillsets, you would be able to get a job in Christchurch are without any trouble. There is still a lot of rebuilding/dismantling going on after the earthquakes, and skills like you have are in short supply.

Start early in getting your visa; there can be a lot of correspondence that takes longer than you might think.

Hope that helps a bit!
    +1

Hi and welcome!

Hello and welcome.

Hello and welcome!

Hi there, my husband has some thoughts on the construction industry that i'll pass on to you:

The construction industry is not as flourishing as it was 10 years ago. Many independent contractors are struggling to find work. My advice would be, for job security, go with one of the high volume housing companies such as Fletcher, Golden or Generation Homes. Search http//:www.seek.co.nz or http://www.trademe.co.nz/ to see what jobs are on offer.

Hard to say whether NZ is the country for you or not; a lot depends on what you want from life and what your goals are really.

Don't be fooled into moving based on economic reasons; however bad the situation is in Europe, European economies have potential that NZ can only dream of - plus of course NZ $ is dependent on a income from Europe etc.

If you like the outdoor life - walking, climbing, surfing, boating etc. - probably few places better in the world. If you like Rugby Union, same. If you like to explore the South Pacific - again, same.

Arguably if you're doing a short term, worth it for the contrast, it IS different to the UK but with many if not most UK convenient trappings of life.

However, if you're like I was mid-20s - loved watching sport, nights out with friends, meeting lots of new people, going to new towns, looking to build a high flying career(ahem), driving nice cars etc. etc., it's probably not the country for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast