Thread: Traning required for Certificate of Approval

Default Traning required for Certificate of Approval

Hi all,

So after exhausting all options for jobs in my professional field, I have decided to start a career in security (its a sad decision actually)

For that, i am going for a Certificate of Approval (COA) from Ministry of Justice which is a requirement for all security related roles. But it is not mentioned anywhere on Ministry of Justice website whether there is a training required for crowd controller and property guard role. The application form walks me through all details without clarifying anywhere what will be the outcome if I don't have any training in this field. I don't want to apply without confirming this as it has $220 non-refundable fee. I tried contacting some security companies for this information but they (as with all other employers) don't talk with employment seekers for more than 5 seconds, if they talk at all

Does anyone here know if there is a training required for COA in crowd controller and property guard categories?

Thanks.

14. What will the training requirements be?

The new Act allows training or minimum competency requirements to be imposed by regulation. The regulations are yet to be introduced, but it is intended that they will require personal guards, property guards and crowd controllers to meet minimum competency requirements. This will ensure these security personnel have the necessary knowledge and skills to do their job safely and effectively.

The training requirements will be developed in consultation with the industry and other stakeholders. The timing will take into account the nature of the requirements and how long it will reasonably take people to complete the training.
    http://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals...-what-will-the

The requirement for COAs was only brought in late in 2010, so best guess is that the development of specific formalized training hasn't finished yet. That situation is foreseen on the timeline given here. http://www.security.org.nz/security_legislation.php

Thanks JandM. I'm going to go ahead and apply for it as apparently there are no training requirements yet.

Good luck with the new career - and sorry it's not the one you really wanted.

I worked part-time as a Control Room Operator (someone that monitors alarms and answers calls) back in 2006 and had to get a COA. I understand that things may have changed since then, but at the time all I had to do was fill in a form and give permission to run a criminal record check. I managed to get a job in security first, and my employer paid the COA fee. If you don't want to part with the $220, it might be a better idea to see if you can find a job first and get the employer to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi.diaspora View Post
    I worked part-time as a Control Room Operator (someone that monitors alarms and answers calls) back in 2006 and had to get a COA. I understand that things may have changed since then, but at the time all I had to do was fill in a form and give permission to run a criminal record check. I managed to get a job in security first, and my employer paid the COA fee. If you don't want to part with the $220, it might be a better idea to see if you can find a job first and get the employer to cover it.
    Those were the different times. Now the security companies say even if I have a certificate, they cannot guarantee a job.