Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tax on UK war pension

The RSA in NZ is associated with the British Legion, so you might find somebody in their main office who knows about this.

Try the Forces Pension Society in the UK, they may be able to tell you how your pension will be treated overseas?

Default UK War Pension

Quote Originally Posted by frootbat View Post
    Try the Forces Pension Society in the UK, they may be able to tell you how your pension will be treated overseas?
    My husband is just trying to wade through this mine field at the moment, he spoke to War Pensions in the UK just last night, their verdict - 'We have no idea and its something you will have to find out for yourself' IRD have no idea at all - literally, that is what he was told, after being passed through several departments. OH is about to give Veterans Affairs here a call to see if they can advise.

Default No further forward

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    My husband is just trying to wade through this mine field at the moment, he spoke to War Pensions in the UK just last night, their verdict - 'We have no idea and its something you will have to find out for yourself' IRD have no idea at all - literally, that is what he was told, after being passed through several departments. OH is about to give Veterans Affairs here a call to see if they can advise.
    We have asked numerous people and got no where. Please could you keep us apdated if you find out any news. I agree that if the UK government feel that you have earned the right to a tax free war pension for service to the country it would be 'wrong' for the NZ government to tax it.

Default UK war pension

Quote Originally Posted by fairburnings View Post
    Or this,

(b)a pension or allowance of any other kind granted in New Zealand or overseas by any government relating to any war or to disability attributable to or aggravated by service in the armed forces or the police:

Taken from,

image.jpg

I am interested in moving overseas to NZ as well and I have been investigating this issues but from a Canadian perpective. Situation is i am retiring from military in Canada with a military pension and taking a job in NZ. It is amazing to me how little information is known about this and how even government experts have no clue on this topic. I guess we're just as clueless in Canada. But from what I've gathered, when I move, my military pension will be taxed at source (rate 25%) from Canada (because NZ-Canada have a tax agreement). Now this is where it gets fuzzy but I think that since I'll be in the high tax bracket while I am working in NZ (I believe that is 33% in NZ) I will pay taxes (on my canadian military pension) on the difference of the two rates to NZ. So I think I'll pay 8% in taxes on my canadian pension to NZ when I file. But then since there is that 4 year exemption, maybe I dont start paying that 8% right away. But I am pretty sure I start paying that 25% at source right away. Clear as mud. In your case, since you're not taxed at source you may just be taxed on the difference from the rate you're paying in NZ to the rate you would be paying in UK if you were not exempt because of medical release. Anyone who has experience with this feel free to comment.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ranaman; 26th May 2015 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieT View Post
    We have asked numerous people and got no where. Please could you keep us apdated if you find out any news. I agree that if the UK government feel that you have earned the right to a tax free war pension for service to the country it would be 'wrong' for the NZ government to tax it.
    Sorry for the delay, we eventually got an answer via the RSA here, the person my husband spoke with knew one of the former members had worked in the relevant department with IRD, she had moved to France, but not to be deterred the lovely RSA contact emailed her and got the following answer, and I quote her response.

'To your man and his tax problems. The main question is why has he got a pension from the UK Veterans' Agency? If it is in relation to injuries (physical/psychological) received in service, including various allowances for being unemployable, or for needing an attendant etc., then it is not taxable.
    If it is in the way of an occupational pension due to the length of time he served, then it is taxable.'

I hope it helps others in similar situations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12