Thread: Raumati Riddle

Unhappy Raumati Riddle

Hi All,

Still house hunting after almost 7 months of looking and the search area has now spread out to Kapiti, specifically Raumati South.

We have seen a lovely property that has nice big rooms, needs zilch doing to it and has lovely all day sunshine. Trouble is...the commute. I know this question has been asked many times before but we just wanted to get the most up to date info. from fellow forumites. The proposed SH1 upgrade is a concern too.

So, questions are:
    - How long on average does it take to drive (car or scooter) from Raumati South shops to Param station around rush hour weekdays? Is there much traffic? What is the bus service like for the same journey?
    - How reliable are the trains these days from Param to the CBD?
    - What is the latest on the SH1 upgrade in Raumati South? Is a decision EVER going to be made??? The latest info. I have found on the KCDC website dates back to Oct 2012. It says that the new road will come in at the top of Leinster Avenue. Any local knowledge/insider info. appreciated.
    - Has anybody been put off buying in Kapiti due to the uncertainty of the SH1 upgrade plans?

Finally, for those of you that have made the move from Wellington up to Kapiti - has it been worth it? Do any of you find the commute too much and regret relocating? Or has it been the best decision you ever made? I want to hear the bad and good stories!

Thanks very much in advance.

Confused of Karori.

i am so grateful you posted this query cause i am in the same boat as you. I have been looking at param/beach and rumati and even up to waikanae as the property there is beautiful but i have the same concerns. My husband has a job it the city and he is more than happy to commute but still, so many questions! good luck x

Hi all,

We moved after 2 years in Wellington to Waikanae (3 years ago now). I can't really help with the traffic in Raumati questions except to say that there are several routes so I don't think you'd be sitting in traffic until you got to Paraparaumu and had to cross the highway to get to the station. But the scale of traffic is so small as to make me laugh slightly at calling it that. The population here is small, and thus traffic is not much of a problem compared to other cities I've lived in (all in the US). That being said, I HATE to drive. We have a hideous car, and I'm sure if I had a sports car I might change my tune (but alas, kids). So we chose to live where we wouldn't need the car much at all. We now live about a 5 minute walk from the Waikanae train station and shops (2 big markets, library, coffee shops, little cute shops, dry cleaners, banks, hairdressers, post shop, movie theatre with cute couches to sit on and it serves wine).

My OH is the main commuter at the moment and he LOVES the train. Loves to get work done on the way in, visit with his train buddies (people he just met from commuting at the same time and sitting in the same spot). It's an hour and 15 minutes from Waikanae to Wellington (or an hour on the Capital Connection since it only stops once more in Paraparaumu). The ride is beautiful (3 bodies of water, gorgeous!). He walks to his office on the other side. He never drives in to the city. I believe if you really want to drive you'll have to build in time to get through the two or three congestion spots.

The route of the new road is definitely a concern if you are looking to buy up here. But they won't be putting it right at the beach and they won't be putting it on the east side of SH1. I expect they will be building a road through Kapiti, sometime in the next 50 years or so. Our friends who live right on the new route have already sold their house to the government. So I see it as a near certainty now. I would carefully look at how close the new road is to any properties you are considering up here, and not trust the realtor on anything they say about it. But I actually live close to SH1 and don't notice the noise much at all (nor the train noise) so who am I to judge?

My commuting OH does not regret in the slightest coming up here. He loves the better (warmer, less windy) weather. Slower pace of life, more time for the beach. We used to come up at least once a month for a day here so we were already in love with the place. I might regret it when I need to go back to work, because I'm not as keen as he is on the commute. But I haven't tried it yet either. The kids (age 10) can't imagine anywhere better (except Hawaii), and do not want to leave. I think by the time they are teenagers they might find the slow pace of life a little dull though.

Kapiti has many retired people, I think more so Waikanae than other suburbs. But there are also many young families, as the bursting primary schools will tell you. It's kind of nice to have other people who are home during the day when you are a stay at home mum. I have 3 neighboring properties, 2 are retired people and the other has a stay at home mum.

Raumati has a fantastic park, Queen Elizabeth, I just love to walk there. Cute shops and cafes. Great newly redone playground. Nearby access to all the big shops at Coastlands, and the new aquatic centre. The only thing that would hold me back is the distance from the station, since I like to walk everywhere I can.

I would highly recommend trying it out by renting a bach for a week and giving the commute a go. Plenty of properties on book-a-bach.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the info Tigerlily. We will definately be heading to the Kapiti coast and have seen some lovely properties in Waikanae, paraparaumu and p' beach. The idea of the commute doesnt really bother my husband and i want to live somewhere where the boys can be safe, run around and experience a more laid back life. We have a few places to look at so fingers crossed!

Hiya! We moved over to NZ a year ago from Singapore and are now living in Raumati Beach? Been here since Sept last year both me and my partner work in the city and we commute by train. The train is very reliable. So far, I've never had a service cancelled. There are express trains during peak hours (in the morning and evening) so the train stops at all station till Porirua and then it's all the way to Wellington city. Commute is about 50mins in the express train.
    I actually quite enjoy the train ride. Taking the train from Paraparaumu means you'll definitely get a seat
    Driving to the city can be as fast as 40mins (eg. Weekends)
    Where we live is 30mins walk from the station. So we either drive to the station in the morning or take the bus. We buy monthly pass for the train and this pass can be used to take buses anywhere in Paraparaumu.

We love it here in Raumati. There are nice cafes and shops here. Lots of parks and the beach is near. Very flat, so great for cycling too

Before I came over to NZ, I've read posts here in the forum where people claim that Kapiti is warmer. And then there's a different group that says it is not true.

Now that I am here, I can tell you that Kaptiti is definitely warmer. We don't get the cold wind as much nor is the wind as strong compared to Wellignton City.

I think the coast is a great place for Family, houses are big, lots of school and parks. I've often seen kids going to school on their kick scooter or bicycles.

When you are looking at properties, ask the agent straight up how near is the new highway going to be from the property. It is by law that they cannot withhold this information from you if you ask. We are about 3 main streets away from it, so doesn't affect us.

So, The only down side to Kapiti is the commute (only if it bOthers you).
    Last edited by fayevalentine; 23rd March 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Hey fayevalentine, nice to hear from you again. My husband and I are thinking the same questions as Kensington. It's nice to hear that the train ride from Kapiti is a pleasant one. One question... Is it safe to take the train at night esp after working late? Our jobs might require us to work late to meet overseas datelines. I wonder if it will be a problem if we decide to rent in Paraparaumu. We will be moving over December with our pets, so we need to rent a house that allow animals too.

Don't know much about getting from Pram to Raumati South, but the buses are pretty good. SH1 upgrade from Mackays to Peka Peka has been approved, so check where you're buying carefully! We're in Waikanae and commute daily. It's an hour by train, is very reliable and is always busy, so we're clearly not alone! I'd say it's great if you have a family - we love living here and wouldn't move nearer town for anything!

Hi Singapura Cat,
    Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah i would say it is pretty safe here. Though during winter it gets really dark really early. But still, a safe place Are you guys planning the move soon?

There is a quarantine facility at Levin, Shado Lans. I highly recommend them. It is just 20mins drive from Paraparaumu and the facility is much smaller than those in Auckland. More personal touch