Thread: Best places to live in Upper Hutt?

Default Best places to live in Upper Hutt?

Hi,

Just wondered if there's anyone out there who could give me some advice about upper hutt. My husband has been offered a job at the Military base in Trentham. We are from the UK and have never visited New Zealand but have always heard positive feedback about the country. We wont be living on the base as my husband will be civilian staff so we are looking to rent nearby. We will have a car so a 30min commute wouldn't be a problem. So far we are looking in the trentham area but is there anywhere we should avoid renting? It's just me and the other half so no need for schools to be nearby.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Hi Strangey,
    I posted this as a reply to another post re Upper Hutt......

I hope that we will be heading to Upper Hutt also, as thats where my big sister and her family live.
    They live in Trentham and love it, she has advised Trentham and Wallaceville are nice areas to live in. She's also recommended Totora Park (quiet with a large Mormon population - a lot of young families).

I sometimes ask her about other areas (Upper and Lower Hutt), and she has advised that Maoribank,Timberlea, Clouston Park and Brown Owl are all older more run down areas with large ethnic populations (usually with some Gang houses in the neighbourhoods. There are some nice pockets in these suburbs and Brown Owl is the best of the four.

Some areas of Lower Hutt we discussed are Stokes Valley (nice and peaceful, not good for asthmatics), Naenae and Wainouiamata (not good for asthmatics, limited transport links, large polynsian population and large gang presense).

Upper Hutt is approx a 40 min commute from Wellington.

Hope this helps.

Jo
    Last edited by Kiwijo; 1st July 2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: remove duplicated info

We're currently renting in Upper Hutt and have just bought a house in Heretaunga/Silverstream.

Areas I'd suggest, in my order of appeal (other's may disagree, but I grew up in the valley!)
    -Silverstream
    -Heretaunga
    -Elderslea
    -Trentham

Areas I'd avoid
    -Timberlea
    -Brown Owl

Areas that can go either way pretty quickly
    -Wallaceville
    -Upper Hutt (right in town)
    -Totara Park
    -Clouston Park

All parts of Upper Hutt (as with most areas) are going to have some good and bad areas, so you'll have to take a look around the neighbourhoods even once you think you've picked where you want to be.

Grew up in Stokes Valley and don't feel like going back there.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for that Kiwi, I might be able to broaden my search a bit (the areas my big sis recommended are a bit pricey).
    )

no harm trying Lower Hut on the western hills either such as Belmont, Tioronga etc still easy commute as you would be going against the traffic

Sorry, no feed back- just marking this page for future reference.

wairarapa... try the commute by train.

hard to believe but the climate is actualy so so different, sounds impossible, but do take a look.

bob