Thank you so much JandM & Auburn
From what I am able to gather form all this is:
1) I'm not an "eligible New Zealand citizen" as I "moved" to Australia after 2001
2) I hold a Subclass 444 (special category) visa
3) The only visa she would be eligible for is the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)
4) As we will be married at the time of application there is no 12 month restriction (however we would have been in a relationship for over 12 months at that point as well)
5) The Subclass 444 (special category) visa can be renewed multiple times
Does that sound correct?
If so, great! This will buy us some time.