Thread: Permanent residence visa - Quickest option?

Default Permanent residence visa - Quickest option?

Hi there, I have been here just over a month with a 30 months Work To Residence visa. I know that, after 2 years, I can apply for residence, and I heard it should be quite straightforward. But I will have to wait for a few years, I think 5 , and apparently these first 2 years I will have already spent in NZ do not count toward residency....I was wondering if the EOI would be quicker, assuming that mine and my partner combined points would be enough to be selected rather quickly.
    Any suggestions??
    Thank you!

However you get your Residence, you need to spend a minimum of two years after that point before you can ask for PR. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Therefore, in your present situation, you're looking at 2 years on WTR, plus processing time to get Residence, plus two years as a Resident - a total of four years plus the processing time till PR.

You can apply for Residence by putting in your EOI under the Skilled Migrant Scheme at any time, and notice that, since you have a skilled job in NZ, your application will be selected at the next draw as long as you have 100 points. So if you do that, you can foresee processing time to Residence, plus two years - a total of processing time plus two years till PR.

(There are minimal formalities involved for a qualifying Resident in getting PR - no long waiting or uncertainty.)

... unless of course you are on an Accredited Employer type of Work to Residence Visa and you earn more than $90,000 a year - in which case you can go straight to Permanent Residence after 2 years.