Thread: Can we live with the minimum wage?

Default Can we live with the minimum wage?

Hello guys,

I've read some posts about income, and I've seen some websites too, but I am still afraid of weather my wife and I will be able to pay our bills when we arrive in NZ.

We are not fluent in English, but we can get by. So, I am considering the worst case, where we need to accept lower wages in order to start working.

According to this website (http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/pay/minimumwage/), the minimum that we should receive would be $11.40 an hour (before tax). This makes $456.00 for a 40 hour week!

Considering that I am able to work 40 hours/week and my wife 20 hours/week, can we live with $684.00/week or $2,736.00 per month? Considering rent, food and transport, I don't think so...

So, the question is: Does companies use to pay the minimum wage when hiring people?

I am a land surveyor, and my wife architect. We have some years of experience, and we think getting jobs in our areas, even if we need to start working like trainees.

I hope to hear from you guys!

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know why you think $11.40 rate will apply to you rather than the standard $14.25. But even if you were to get the higher rate, I'd say it will be a huge challenge to live on that amount, particularly if you decide to live in Auckland or Christchurch, or perhaps other large cities as well.

For the first three years of our life in Auckland, we had an annual budget of about $60,000 (pre-tax). We are not extravagant (you can't be with that kind of a budget!), but life was a constant struggle to watch every expense. But we have two near-adult children, so our costs were more than what they'd be for your family of two.

On the bright side, both of you being professionals, I think (and hope) that at least one of you'll be able to get a job that pays more than minimum wage. This to a large extent will depend on professional registration both of you'll need to have to get the most benefit of your education and experience. If you haven't looked into this, it'll be helpful to do it now. Some of these processes are really time consuming.

Whichever way you ultimately decide, I wish you good luck.

I would agree with what NJ2NZ said. For higher paying jobs in NZ, one is expected to have good language skills similar to a native or bilingual speaker. I have seen some people with limited language skills earning good money, but they are in very niche fields or run their own business.

Thank you for the reply guys.
    I hope that I can get more than the minimum off course, but I am considering the worst case.
    I am considering $11.40 because of that:
    "The training minimum wage applies to employees aged 20 years or over who are doing recognized industry training involving at least 60 credits a year as part of their employment agreement, in order to become qualified."

If you have skills which are niche is some way the fact that you're not fluent might be forgiven. But getting yourselves fluent has to be priority, you both seem to have good skills so find a decent paying job would seem possible.
    I guess depending where you want to live will impact on your ability to live on a lower wage if need be.
    Good luck!

Yes, for sure the city will impact on our budget. We will go to Auckland because of my wife's course, but maybe after some months we can find something interesting in another place. Wellywearer, how is the life in Wellington?

Quote Originally Posted by Zago View Post
    Yes, for sure the city will impact on our budget. We will go to Auckland because of my wife's course, but maybe after some months we can find something interesting in another place. Wellywearer, how is the life in Wellington?
    We love Wellington! We seem to love it a little bit more each time we discover something new! One of the links in my signature will give you a few more ideas of life in the capital!