Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide To Buying Second Hand Car

In US, we have such reference as Kelly blue book to find out average used car prices. Do you have anything in NZ for consumers to help with their negotiation? If a dealer is asking for $28K on a 2010 Subaru Forrester, how are they basing their numbers on? thx

I think it is quite unnecessary to get redbook if you are buying just 1-2 used cars. Just do a bit of research and price-checking on trademe, autotrader. Virtually all dealers/motor distributors will list on those sites.

The issue with late-model Japanese imports (yes 2010 is considered late model since the average age of cars in NZ is about 12 years), is that there are also rare in Japan too, to be offered for export. Japan exports cars worldwide and hence NZ buyers would be competing worldwide in the used car market for their cars. Together with NZTA requirements on vehicle imports which include compliance regulations, emission standards and frontal/vehicle standards; only certain cars that meet these standards get through.

Most dealers in NZ buy their cars through auction sites in Japan and the price isn't quite as 'fixed'. Cars which can enter NZ, will tend to have a base price which is higher due to additional requirements. Furthermore cars in Japan are graded on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the best 'as new' condition) so the higher the grade, the higher is the base price.

Sometimes it is possible to find a newer car with less mileage offered for less than an older car with more mileage though. If you do a bit of research you can possibly find a good used Subaru for much less than the price you quoted. But generally speaking if you look at cars between the years 2005-2008, they tend to have the biggest range, the largest stocks and the most competitive pricing levels. Beyond that, it gets marginally more expensive.

I'm not trying to advocate for REDBOOK, but its a useful way of establishing a cars value, as used by dealers. You don't have to sign up for a subscription. I think its something like $17 to get an individual valuation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    I'm not trying to advocate for REDBOOK, but its a useful way of establishing a cars value, as used by dealers. You don't have to sign up for a subscription. I think its something like $17 to get an individual valuation.
    I'm not suggesting that you are advocating it but if a buyer is just interested in buying a used car or 2 then it is unnecessary really to get redbook.

yes yes yes! Just trying to answer his question "In US, we have such reference as Kelly blue book to find out average used car prices" with something that is similar

Thank you for enlightening me.

http://carjam.com is a good site for looking up the history of any car you are interested in buying. Some information is free and for a small fee you get a whole lot more.

Cars described as 'NZ new' have the advantage that the mileage is much more likely to be correct because it will have been recorded at every warrant since new so really quite difficult to falsify. I would be highly suspicious of any import with a low mileage.

Make sure it has a cam chain (I don't even know what that means but it was advice given by a friend who knows about cars) and don't buy a car from friends.

That may have been good advice in 1970 but very few cars have cam chains these days; I think it will cut down your choices a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast