Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where should we look for our new home (Wellington)

It's illustrated by the fact that chapwithatui said Johnsonville was "dull and normal" and you saying you couldn't find anything wrong with it! It's best to just go where you fancy I reckon because everyone tells you conflicting information 2girlsMom!

You're right, KerryL. Different people will often have different views of the same places. That's why I mentioned what we are/aren't looking for.
    Both tried to help and have precious inside knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2girlsMom View Post
    Hi Ansistent,
    thanks for all the information. Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I wanted to say was "What is the minimal distance we should bring between us and the airport to live (and sleep) peacefully and quiet?". Therefore, your suggestions Seatoun/Seatoun Heights/Melrose/Island Bay/Hataitai/Roseneath will probably not be short-listed.

2girlsMom
    Seatoun definitely needs to be on your shortlist!
    Seatoun is one of the most sought after (or NZ estate agents like to say: sort after) suburbs of Wellington but unfortunately your budget probably won't go far there. Don't discount Miramar - it is the home of Stone Street Studios, Weta digital and park Road Production who made the Hobbit films etc. It has the most amazing cinema ever, the Roxy and when the Hobbit was being filmed the actors lived on the Miramar peninsula (most over the hill in Seatoun and Karaka Bay). Scarlet Johanssen is currently residing in that part of town. Don't forget the airport isn't huge and neither are the planes landing there!
    The other places you said wouldn't be shortlisted need to be back on your list too, they are some of the more desirable places in Wellington!
    Have you looked on trademe.co.nz for rental properties?
    Whereabouts will you be working?

As 2girlsMom mentioned they have two kids, I have tailored the “good” and “bad” lists to reflect what I would define as the most “family friendly” areas. The suburbs I mentioned in the good list are the quieter, more upmarket suburbs in the different parts of town. Newtown and Aro Valley might be your thing if you want that busy, inner city cosmopolitan lifestyle. For a family who want a “child friendly” neighbourhood or a quieter place to live while still being able to visit the busy inner city, those areas would not be the best areas in Wellington. Most suburbs of Wellington are not far from the CBD, and most if not all have bus links/train links to the CBD.

All we can give you is advice based on what you have given us. We don’t know your exact interests, or preferred lifestyle, or your workplace, so it is very hard to pinpoint the best area for someone as such. Everything is subjective to a degree and it is always up to each person to decide what they like/don’t like etc. All we can do is help the best we can.

Wadestown, Ngaio, Khandallah, Broadmeadows, Churton Park, Thorndon, Karori (eastern side of it), Brooklyn, Mt.Victoria, Roseneath, Oriental Bay and Seatoun (yes Seatoun is beautiful!) are the overall most affluent/upmarket suburbs in Wellington. Aro Valley, Newtown, Mt.Cook, Newlands, Miramar, Lyall Bay and especially Berhampore, Strathmore Park, Kilbirnie and Linden are the overall least affluent/most downmarket suburbs. Johnsonville is middle-class, a pretty standard suburb street and housing wise, but with an excellent shopping area and access to SH1, which makes it good in my books. If you would like any more help, feel free to let us know. We’re happy to help.

Thanks,
    Ansistent

Enjoyable exchanges here. My view of Churton Park and or Johnsonville, and (Lyn of) Tawa for that matter, comes from the idea that if you are going to move half way around the world to live in Wellington, then you might as well go for Wellington in all her glory: sea views, beaches, flat whites, a good southerly change and all. Two more good ones for the list are Worser Bay (has a brilliant primary school, a superb beach and a yacht club) and right next door Karaka Bay, home of the local film mogul and the best beach in town -- Scorching Bay. There are few shops, but for food you can always pop into Moore Wilson's, a great Wellington institution.

Thanks girlwithanewf,
    but we really do look for a quiet family area. We would even consider more rural areas if it wasn't for the time to get to work every day (nothing fixed yet, but most likely in the city). And even small planes might wake the little ones (most likely at least me, I'm a light sleeper).
    Film studios and film star residences are probably interesting to visit, but don't need to be close by.

Thank you, Ansistent, for taking so much time to explain. I think you got my question right.

Thanks chapwithatui,
    where you sleep at night and where you're able to go for a nice day trip are two things. Of course, beach view out of the window would be awesome if possible. But realistically, this might simply not be within our budget for now.

Red face Western suburbs = ideal

HI there, it sounds as if Highbury / Northland would be ideal for you and your family. These suburbs are close to town but secluded and family-friendly. They are also right next to Zealandia - and if your daughter loves nature - this is the place for her. You can achieve your budget in these suburbs if you look wisely, and a bush view is also very possible. The only drawback is that Northland School is about the least culturally diverse schools in Wellington, very white and Euro-centric, doesn't reflect the diversity of Wellington! But it is a perfectly good, middle-class primary school.
    Given your wish list, I personally would go for these Western suburbs over somewhere further out of town like Seatoun.
    All the best.
    Elfie

PS Wilton could also work, and Otari Wilton Bush is absolutely lovely - you are surrounded with glorious native bush. However, Wilton is slightly further out and also slightly cooler and damper than Highbury and Northland.

Another quick comment - please don't be put off visiting places like Porirua - in spite of what some might say, these are incredibly vibrant, youthful parts of Wellington, and have huge merit in terms of close-knit family communities and diversity.
    And Aro Valley / Mt Cook / Newtown are FULL of young families, as well as students - due to being so central and convenient. Aro Valley has a wonderful bohemian village centre and is a true community, with family-friendly facilities - I wouldn't immediately overlook it.

Yes, very useful comments from Elfie above. I don't know if this still happens but Northland primary used to have German classes for native speakers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast