Thread: Need facts about AA Certified Odometer/ Speedometer

Question Need facts about AA Certified Odometer/ Speedometer

My first post here. Not sure if there would be similar thread on this forum.

Here's my issue:
    I recently (a week back) bought a Japanese hatchback 2008 Nissan Note (NZ New) from a car dealer registered on Trade Me. As I work PM rosters, so quickly noticed that the backlight for the dash wasn't working and I could not see how fast I was driving during night time. (The car has an AA certified Odometer sticker on the windshield).

I contacted the dealer who asked for the car to be brought back to him, gave me a courtesy car and said they would send it to their mechanic who would either fix the backlight or replace the dashboard tweaking the speedometer to match that of the car's and that would take about a week to be done. I have asked that all work carried out need to be AA certified.

I have contacted AA Odometer inspections team on 0800500333 but they are less than willing to listen to me unless I am an AA member (which I thought was a bit rude). Also tried contacting Jevic in vain.

My question: The dealer seemed to be hesitant when trying to ask for AA Certification for the work that the mechanics will be carrying out. I have told them that if they return me my car, I would get it fixed from an AA Certified mechanic and pass on the costs to them, and they have declined. What can go wrong if the replacement dash is not AA Certified, will it affect insurance, its resale value, any legal issues and what can I do to help this situation I am in?

Also, if this isn't appropriate forum to post this query in, could anyone suggest me where I could get this answered?

Cheers,
    VS.

The certification of a odometer for an NZ new car is not too important because its mileage will have been recorded at every WOF since it was new. If the odometer was wound back it would show up in the records quite clearly.

A replacement odometer should match the one one replaced for the same reason but I would not worry too much about AA certificates; they don't really mean much - no one can really tell whether a car has been 'clocked' anyway.