Thread: Lockwood Homes ?

Default Lockwood Homes ?

Hi Guys,

Anyone, heard about Lockwood Homes ? www.lockwood.co.nz

Some of the designs look fab, but I like they way they affer a 'design & build' service.

Any ideas of cost ?

Milliemoo

Lockwoods tend to be fairly pricey, as they are made entirely of wood...walls are 2-3 inch thick wood, ceilings are all wood (as in panelled look, but very thick). They are indeed very nice house, certainly warm...all that thick wood is pretty good insulation eh.
    Haven't looked at any lockwood places lately myself, but they are a popular beach-house type, as their all-wood internals make for minimal upkeep.
    Our holiday place is lockwood upstairs, let's see if I have a pic....

sorry it is not a very good pic of the lockwood idea, but it shows at least the style of ceiling and a bit of the walls. Frankly, I get sick of seeing just the wood panels all the time, i prefer wallpaper on at least SOME walls! :-)

Lockwoods are good, strong, low maintenance houses. On the expensive side, but you can get them made either to a set pattern or designed however you like. They have a "cheaper" line, called Initial homes, which is just lockwood walls, but a normal roof and ceiling, saves a fair bit by not having a solid timber roof, eh.

cheers, Stu.

Default Initial homes

Hi There
    Yes we had an initial home built in Whitianga it was going to be our retirement home, but we decided to retire nearer to Auckland. it was fine, lovely and warm, did creak a bit in the wind, but then it was high on a hill over the bay. Lockwood homes are very nice. They were a bit out of our price range.

Thanks,

This may see like a dumb question, but can you not put plaster board up so they don't look so woody on the inside ?

Gran, I see your on the Hibiscus Coast .... how far is that from CBD? Are there regular buses ? Do the ferries go that far ?

Milliemoo

I've seen some houses with plasterboard to break the monotony of the wood. I wouldn't like it all wood either. Have you seen aussiehomes.co.nz ? Beautiful houses. Also, tristyle.co.nz.

I really liked the "architectual" concept plans (designs by Pete Bossley) but our site wouldn't allow for one, which is a real pity because in our case it would have been a lot cheaper.
    My solution for getting rid of the "woody" look would have been just to paint the walls and/or ceilings but what's to stop anyone from fixing plasterboard to the ceiling???

Lockwood do have a great reputation and designs. The only negative I've heard from some people is that being wood they expand and contract a lot due to chages in temp and humidity and as a result make some very strange noises, ceaks and bangs, as this occurs! I suppose you get used to it though!

Karl

I've had this ,ink saved on my pc for ages don't know much about them but seem to be the design and build type thing.

Look nice though but having not seen one don't know much about the qaulity.

Jo

http://www.valueplushomes.co.nz/

I've had this ,ink saved on my pc for ages don't know much about them but seem to be the design and build type thing.

Look nice though but having not seen one don't know much about the qaulity.

Jo

http://www.valueplushomes.co.nz/