Thread: Child Custody Changes While Abroad

Default Child Custody Changes While Abroad

Back story - U.S. citizen living here with child from previous marriage. Our custody arrangement is joint legal (we both have a say so in major life decisions) with me having physical custody (she primarily resides with me). Ex agreed for child to move here and have residence visa. He has since stopped having anything to do with her.

My concern is if something happened to me, my child would have to go back as my husband (NZ citizen) has no legal rights to keep her. I am going to see if my ex will give me sole custody or if he will terminate his rights.

I'm waiting to hear back from my attorney in the States, but I'm curious if anyone has gone through anything similar or made custody modifications while abroad.

I have no knowledge of this but just want to say I really hope this works out for you. It must be a frustrating and scary.

Yes, all the very best for finding a solution that works best for her. How old is she?

She's 10. Per my attorney, he can willingly sign over his rights (we may or may not have to go back to the States for this), I could petition the court to terminate (would definitely have to be present for hearings), or I can petition for a change of venue to here. I was advised to talk to an attorney here to see if there are any catches in the family law system that may or may not make a change of venue beneficial.

Thank you. I really don't like that unknown factor when it comes to what would happen to her. He hasn't spoke to her in 3 years, so he would be a stranger to her. I can't even get up with him to discuss things. That's the most frustrating part. :/