Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Citizenship Ceremonies/ Timeframe

Applied: 09 Nov 2023
    Approved: 10 Dec 2023
    Ceremony Invitation Received: 11 Dec 2023 (for 7 Feb 2024).
    Venue: Auckland Town Hall

Just sharing my experience. I received my invitation for the February ceremony the day after I received my approval email in December. So I don’t think they wait 4-6 weeks before the actual ceremony to send your invitation to you. I received mine almost 2 months before. So it just really depends.

Ceremonies usually resume in February for Auckland. In your attached invitation letter, or for Auckland at least, there will be a seat number. For example “S15” this actually gives you an idea (apart from knowing where you’re going to be seated) when your name is going to be called to go on stage. The letter is the row so if your seat allocation starts with A, B, C, etc. you’ll be seated at the front and your name is called early, as they start calling out names by row starting with the front row. I always thought it was alphabetical based on your name but it is not.

There were almost 600 candidates for citizenship in my ceremony as they said it was for the Auckland Region (not just Auckland Central area) so that might explain the number. My row was “S”, so i was seated at the back end which is fine, you get to see the other nationalities but my hands hurt from clapping for 500+ new citizens (kidding!).
    Tip though.. if you hate queues either arrive very early OR 15-10 minutes before the ceremony starts. You need to register so they can verify you’re physically present for your ceremony so they can hand you your citizenship certificate once your name is called on stage. I arrived 45 minutes before the start of the ceremony and the queue was very long and snaked all the way to Aotea Square.

Depending on whether you chose the oath or affirmation, you’re asked to stand to recite it (the text will be shown on screen don’t worry). You can also choose to recite the oath or affirmation in Te Reo. Some did that and it was very special and meaningful. Looking back, I wish I did the same.
    The ceremony started at 6.30pm and ended around 8.45pm for us. Not bad considering there were almost 600 new citizens plus their families. Refreshments are served after the ceremony.

I waited for a day to apply for my NZ passport and got it 2 days after (applied Thursday, received my passport on Saturday- yes the Passport office can request for a Saturday delivery), their courier of choice is NZ Post to my relief.

Hope sharing my experience helps. The ceremony was quite an emotional experience for me especially when I look back on my journey getting there.. from Student visa, to Work visa to Resident to Permanent Resident, etc. This forum allowed me to learn from the experience of others. So a huge thank you to JandM and Kelerei for the solid guidance and all the wealth of knowledge both of you bring to this forum!

Thanks so much for telling us what it's like on the day.

Hi folks,

My journey has been quite smooth. I applied online on the 6th of Feb and got approved on the 21st of the same month. Just last week, on the 20th of March, I sent a query to the citizenship office re ceremony asking if there's any update and also if it'd be possible to attend the ceremony sometime in April due to my plans to move flats. I was told the following:

You have been allocated to the very next available, Auckland Central ceremony scheduled 13 May 2024.
    Ceremony with be held in The Great Town Hall starting at 6:30 pm.
    Note: Auckland Council will not be hosting ceremonies in April.
    Invitations will be emailed roughly 3-4 weeks before the ceremony.

So, if it's of any help to anyone - no citizenship ceremonies are taking place in April for those who are in Auckland Central and the next one is on the 13th of May. I'm based in Remuera and I'm not sure why they class it as Central. It's under Ōrākei Ward vs Waitematā and Gulf. But anyhow, the invitation that I received today, on the 25th of March, says the ceremony will be in Town Hall on Queen St, CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by siberian-girl View Post
    Hi folks,

My journey has been quite smooth. I applied online on the 6th of Feb and got approved on the 21st of the same month. Just last week, on the 20th of March, I sent a query to the citizenship office re ceremony asking if there's any update and also if it'd be possible to attend the ceremony sometime in April due to my plans to move flats. I was told the following:

You have been allocated to the very next available, Auckland Central ceremony scheduled 13 May 2024.
    Ceremony with be held in The Great Town Hall starting at 6:30 pm.
    Note: Auckland Council will not be hosting ceremonies in April.
    Invitations will be emailed roughly 3-4 weeks before the ceremony.

So, if it's of any help to anyone - no citizenship ceremonies are taking place in April for those who are in Auckland Central and the next one is on the 13th of May. I'm based in Remuera and I'm not sure why they class it as Central. It's under Ōrākei Ward vs Waitematā and Gulf. But anyhow, the invitation that I received today, on the 25th of March, says the ceremony will be in Town Hall on Queen St, CBD.
    Congratulation
    Would you mind if I ask you how many applicant did you have in your application?
    I saw some of family group application delayed and they recommend to apply solo
    I'm going to apply next month and i'm wondering if someone help me with information how to apply for 2 adults and 1 child under 14 years old

Quote Originally Posted by PediINZ View Post
    Congratulation
    Would you mind if I ask you how many applicant did you have in your application?
    I saw some of family group application delayed and they recommend to apply solo
    I'm going to apply next month and i'm wondering if someone help me with information how to apply for 2 adults and 1 child under 14 years old
    I've responded in another thread to you.

Date of Citizenship Submission: 29 January 2024
    Date of email approval: 13 February 2024
    Date when ceremony email is received: 23 April 2024
    Your Location (or Suburb if in Auckland): Christchurch
    When & Where the Ceremony is: 22 May 2024 at Christchurch Town Hall

Quote Originally Posted by AllyMac View Post
    Date of Citizenship Submission: 29 January 2024
    Date of email approval: 13 February 2024
    Date when ceremony email is received: 23 April 2024
    Your Location (or Suburb if in Auckland): Christchurch
    When & Where the Ceremony is: 22 May 2024 at Christchurch Town Hall

Wow...long wait for a ceremony in CHC.

Default ceremonies paused during phase of throne succession?

Not sure if this question is appropriate - Would a succession to the throne affect the scheduled citizenship ceremonies? Does anyone know if ceremonies had been cancelled/postponed for the time after Queen Elizabeth II passed away and King Charles III has been enthroned? I am aware that, legally, the successor becomes King the moment their predecessor passes away but I still wonder if ceremonies would be paused. Something I better don't ask the DIA ... and, of course, long live the King!

Quote Originally Posted by Eckard View Post
    Not sure if this question is appropriate - Would a succession to the throne affect the scheduled citizenship ceremonies? Does anyone know if ceremonies had been cancelled/postponed for the time after Queen Elizabeth II passed away and King Charles III has been enthroned? I am aware that, legally, the successor becomes King the moment their predecessor passes away but I still wonder if ceremonies would be paused. Something I better don't ask the DIA ... and, of course, long live the King!
    I do know that a new version of the Citizenship Guidance Document was immediately issued, updating the oath of allegiance to reflect the new reigning Sovereign. It's more likely than not that this was the only effect, but you'll need to submit an Official Information Act request to the Department of Internal Affairs to be sure. There's been enough forum members posting their ceremony dates for me to say with confidence that a pause in citizenship ceremonies almost certainly didn't happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast