Thread: 2024 Citizenship Ceremonies/ Timeframe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ceremonies paused during phase of throne succession?

Not sure if this question is appropriate - Would a succession to the throne affect the scheduled citizenship ceremonies? Does anyone know if ceremonies had been cancelled/postponed for the time after Queen Elizabeth II passed away and King Charles III has been enthroned? I am aware that, legally, the successor becomes King the moment their predecessor passes away but I still wonder if ceremonies would be paused. Something I better don't ask the DIA ... and, of course, long live the King!

Quote Originally Posted by Eckard View Post
    Not sure if this question is appropriate - Would a succession to the throne affect the scheduled citizenship ceremonies? Does anyone know if ceremonies had been cancelled/postponed for the time after Queen Elizabeth II passed away and King Charles III has been enthroned? I am aware that, legally, the successor becomes King the moment their predecessor passes away but I still wonder if ceremonies would be paused. Something I better don't ask the DIA ... and, of course, long live the King!
    I do know that a new version of the Citizenship Guidance Document was immediately issued, updating the oath of allegiance to reflect the new reigning Sovereign. It's more likely than not that this was the only effect, but you'll need to submit an Official Information Act request to the Department of Internal Affairs to be sure. There's been enough forum members posting their ceremony dates for me to say with confidence that a pause in citizenship ceremonies almost certainly didn't happen.

Thank you very much.