Thread: Applying for PWV from overseas while apart

Default Applying for PWV from overseas while apart

Seeking advice - regarding partner working visa

Partner has gone back to NZ recently, I'm overseas.
    We have been together for over a year and lived together for about 5 months (evidence of living together from about 6 months ago), then travelled together overseas.

He's a nz citizen, I come from a visa waiver country.
    Is it still possible to apply for PWV while not technically living together but have got lots of proof of living together from before?

Or is it better to get in on NZeta? Gvv?
    Help
    😶*🌫️
    Thank you 😁

You're much more likely to have your application for a partner-sponsored visa taken seriously if you start the process when you are together. INZ regard living together as the main proof of partnership, so if you're in the position of saying, 'Oh, but we WERE,' and having to justify an absence as not meaning that you've broken up, it's much less convincing to them, and difficult for you.

So if you go in 'independently', and immediately start collecting evidence of partnership, your application can go in during the life of that first visitor visa (of whatever sort). Then, once you have applied for, for instance, a Partner of a New Zealander visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...lders#criteria, you will be eligible for an interim visa to keep you legal to stay in NZ while your partner-sponsored one is being processed https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/interim-visa. There is a perfectly valid reason to give when entering on a visitor's visa though hoping to stay longer term - "look, see, and decide", which is often used by those prospecting the job market and life-style. (Old threads mentioning this. https://www.google.com/search?client...see+and+decide) They look to see how their career works in NZ, what openings there might be for them with their experience and qualifications, and what their salary and prospects would be, then they can see what kind of home and leisure time they could afford, and if they might like the area where they would live, before deciding whether or not to go ahead with applications. The foreign partner could legitimately research all of that, as well as saying that they're going to see if it works out spending a longer time with the NZ partner. This option has been used when 'researching' a partnership by others on the forum.

Thanks for your answer!
    I would much prefer to lodge this application once we are next to eachother - though there are some good reason for why we're apart. But our evidence of living together are from way back and the rest is travel..
    Question is -
    Which visa should I apply for?
    Nzeta would be great, easiest - tho a lil risky.
    How about the 'Bona fide' side of things when entering on Nzeta?

Applying for Pvv is the same as applying for Pwv - as far as I understand.
    While Gvv could be a good idea, I am worried they won't approve as we have good basis.

Really need to find a solution as I am only stuck on that part and wanting to get back to NZ asap 😁
    I appreciate your help!

Hi again,
    Forgot to mention I've had WHV in Nz for 3.5 years. Then switched to a GVV for 2 months towards the end of my stay

We were living together at the time (in nz) for about 5 months, as I mentioned - with some traveling around the country here and there.

In that case
    Would Nzeta would still be okay to go for?
    For the purpose of gathering more evidence and apply once we are physically living together.
    Any advice would be much appreciated 🙏🏼
    Last edited by noabr93; 25th January 2024 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Lil bit more info