Thread: Citizenship English Assessment

Default Citizenship English Assessment

Hi,
    my parents citizenship application is finally selected to be processed. We have had DIA reach out to them to verify personal details, documents, etc.
    My father pretty much has the greenlight.
    My mother however has been requested to do an English Assessment.
    Can anyone advise how can she prepare for this?
    In the worst case scenario, what happens if she does not pass the assessment? Does that mean she will be declined the citizenship application? Or will DIA approve the citizenship conditionally that she pays for English lessons?
    Don't get me wrong, she understands a slow English speaker. But not someone who is fast and fluent. When she got her residence visa, we paid for her English language lessons.

The primary applicant was my father, does that mean his citizenship process will also come to a halt?

Thanks in advance

The Citizenship Guidance Document answers this in detail, but to summarize:

• If your mother is assessed as having insufficient knowledge of the English language at a first interview, the Citizenship Office will offer the opportunity to attend a second interview within a further 6 months.
    • The English language requirement may be waived under Section 8(8) of the Citizenship Act if, because of your mother's age, standard of education, or any other reason personal to her, she would suffer undue hardship if she is required to meet the English language requirement.
    • If your mother is finally assessed as having insufficient knowledge of the English language, and if she is unable to prove to the Citizenship Office's satisfaction that the requirement be waived, the application will normally be declined (it is possible that, before things reach this point, the Citizenship Office will provide an opportunity to withdraw the application and receive a partial refund). "Conditional approval" does not exist. Attending extra English lessons is, as far as citizenship legislation is concerned, something that should have been done before applying.