Thread: child citizenship

Default child citizenship

We know that if one of the parents is resident then born baby will be citizen. Now, consider parents are not resident then what happened if they become resident say 4 months after baby born? Could he apply for citizenship?

An applicant for New Zealand citizenship aged 15 or under may be granted citizenship under Section 9(a)(1) of the Citizenship Act 1977. Legally, when deciding whether to grant citizenship to such an applicant, the Minister of Internal Affairs may have regard to any of the standard requirements for citizenship, but may choose to waive or not have regard to any of the standard requirements.

Current ministerial policy (per the Citizenship Guidance Document) is that, for applicants aged 13 or under at the time of decision, only three of the standard grant requirements must be met:

• Entitlement to reside in New Zealand; and
    • Intention to continue residing in New Zealand; and
    • Presence in New Zealand, which is considered automatically met if any one of the parents is, or is about to become, a New Zealand citizen.

In practice, this usually means that if an infant born in New Zealand is not a New Zealand citizen by birth, that person would be included in the parents' application for a residence class visa, and would subsequently apply for citizenship by grant at the same time that the parents do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    An applicant for New Zealand citizenship aged 15 or under may be granted citizenship under Section 9(a)(1) of the Citizenship Act 1977. Legally, when deciding whether to grant citizenship to such an applicant, the Minister of Internal Affairs may have regard to any of the standard requirements for citizenship, but may choose to waive or not have regard to any of the standard requirements.

Current ministerial policy (per the Citizenship Guidance Document) is that, for applicants aged 13 or under at the time of decision, only three of the standard grant requirements must be met:

• Entitlement to reside in New Zealand; and
    • Intention to continue residing in New Zealand; and
    • Presence in New Zealand, which is considered automatically met if any one of the parents is, or is about to become, a New Zealand citizen.

In practice, this usually means that if an infant born in New Zealand is not a New Zealand citizen by birth, that person would be included in the parents' application for a residence class visa, and would subsequently apply for citizenship by grant at the same time that the parents do.
    Is this for new born baby before the parents become resident? So this means in this case the child will just be resident not citizen , right?
    I am pretty sure I mean I asked DIA and they said that if one of them is resident and then new baby born, he becomes citizen But did not ask if born before parents become resident what happened.
    Last edited by Torki; 1st April 2024 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torki View Post
    Is this for new born baby before the parents become resident? So this means in this case the child will just be resident not citizen , right?
    I am pretty sure I mean I asked DIA and they said that if one of them is resident and then new baby born, he becomes citizen But did not ask if born before parents become resident what happened.
    Do you seriously not remember what question you asked in the first post in this thread? That was the question to which you received an answer to. In any event, I would have expected that my last paragraph would have made this abundantly clear.

Expect no further assistance from me in this regard. If you cannot comprehend my reply to you, that's your problem.