Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expenses for a family of 5 (3 kids and 2 adults)

hmmm... I wonder how much we'd be spending on food.. I cook, but I'm not sure if I could still manage to do that when I get there (depending on the type of work I get). Plus, right now (here in the Philippines), I have two housekeepers who do most of the heavy housework (like laundry, upkeep of the house, minimal gardening...etc).. so I still have time to cook. I'm also thinking.. if I dont cook, that would mean more expenses on food orders.. yikes! I would definitely want to minimize all expenses especially during the initial stage. by the way.. where are you planning settle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo
    Apologies, I can't count.... we've budgete $160 per week on food.

Milliemoo

Thanks for all the inputs Another thing .. does the New Zealand system require companies to contribute or pay for the retirement plans of their employees (as in the US, Canada, and Australia)? [QUOTE=Toronto_Kiwi]As it happens, I just put a spreadsheet together for our estimated weekly expenses if my husband and I lived in Auckland. (We don't have children but are considering having a baby in NZ). I wouldn't mind some feedback on it and it might be helpful for other people.
    QUOTE]

Hi, late last night I was reading posts on UK2NZ and this caught my eye in someones signature. I hope I'm not commiting some terrible faux pax linking to it...please let me know if I am!!!

Living costs calculator

There's heaps & heaps of really great info on that site !

Have a look at the spreadsheet Steve has set up for doing an inventory of the house..... great for insurance purposes.

There's also a great 'to do' list.

Milliemoo

After I'd looked at that site I felt very, very underprepared for all this.

The thing is though, it's all there for you

If you start to get in a panic.....just check your 'to do list'.

Milliemoo

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin77
    Hi, late last night I was reading posts on UK2NZ and this caught my eye in someones signature. I hope I'm not commiting some terrible faux pax linking to it...please let me know if I am!!!

Living costs calculator
    Wow - that calculator is really helpful. I've added in some of the items that my Canadian work benefits cover but that I'll probably have to pay for in NZ (eyeglasses, dentist, etc). My weekly expenses estimate has gone up a few hundred $$.
    The to do list is helpful. Not looking forward to filling in the inventory spreadsheet for insurance estimate but it is a necessary evil.

I know this thread is describing daily living when settled, but another thing to plan for is setting up house upon arrival. You end up spending alot more at first on groceries, filling your pantry, cleaning products, brooms,etc. If you cook alot, you need many supplies. I was shocked at some early grocery bills of $300+. And it took some months to settle into more regular spending. These start-up items/costs were a surprise to me, so set aside some cash for arrival.

Oooohhh.. I loved the calculator!
    Other info provided in the site was also very useful
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplehead
    I know this thread is describing daily living when settled, but another thing to plan for is setting up house upon arrival. You end up spending alot more at first on groceries, filling your pantry, cleaning products, brooms,etc. If you cook alot, you need many supplies. I was shocked at some early grocery bills of $300+. And it took some months to settle into more regular spending. These start-up items/costs were a surprise to me, so set aside some cash for arrival.
    Good point.... you need to consider rental costs (bonds + advance payment), extra transport costs due to interviews etc, MAF fees & and I'm sure I read somewhere once that the electricty companies wanted a bond because you have no credit rating?

We've budgeted £10k for 6 months, but we could stretch that out more if need be. We will also have interest off savings which will pay 80% odf the rent for the first few months.

Milliemoo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast