Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter of support from partner?

Question Letter of support from partner?

I'm filling out the form to get my husband a work visa under the married-to-a-kiwi category.

He has to submit a "letter of support" from me with his application.

Any suggestions as to what they want or what I should write?

Thanks!

We had to do this on the spot at NZIS as we'd assumed (wrongly) that our marriage cert was enough.. the NZIS officer got Mr Rr to write a letter stating that we were married, for how long and that he would support me financially if needed i.e. if I couldn't get a job, for as long as was necessary. That was about it I think.

HTH

thanks! I'm in the middle of drafting the letter now, hit a blank and came here hoping someone had replied to give me inspiration. I wote about the length of our relationship and financial support, I'll add in that bit about "for as long as necessary" too. Very helpful, thank you.

My hubby had to write one too. His said much the same as Mr Rr's. Just stating that he was my hubby, how long we've been married, how he's prepared to give financial support etc.

Just more red tape but one day soon you'll suddenly realise that all the red tape has been cut. From what I've seen on this forum, those of us lucky enough to be able to come to NZ under the partnership category have an easy ride compared to other types of application.

Good luck.

Diny

Thanks Diny!

I'm ok with the red tape - after dealing with the US immigration service (for myself), NZIS is smooth sailing!

We have to submit a letter of support, too, though our circumstances are a bit different (I'm applying for a work visa with a job offer, he's applying for an open partner visa based on mine). The company I'm going to work for gave us a template that says essentially that his presence is important to my wellbeing (I would hope so!) and that my income will be enough for us both to live on comfortably. Not sure how true that second part is, but we're about to find out

Thanks Beeline - from what you & the others said, it seems like financial support is their main concern, so I played up that in my letter. I should be ready to send the application on Monday so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks to OregonKiwi for posing the question and to all those who have offered advice. I now not only know what needs to be in the letters but I have a place to come to ask all those nagging questions! My partner, bless him, despite being a kiwi is largely clueless!

I'm applying for a resident's visa sponsored by my partner who's been dying to leave London and go back home to Christchurch. We're a bit light on things addressed to the two of us because I keep nothing and have had two major clear outs since we moved in together. I plan to submit:

1. as many photos of the two of us as I can lay my hands on. They don't have date stamps but I have written dates on the back that are consistent with...
    2. ...letters of support from as many of our friends as possible along with both sets of parents and my sister.
    3. our current lease agreement and
    4. the council tax bill. Both of these also have our flatmates names on too though.
    5. my car insurance with him as a named driver,
    6. an invite from the last wedding we were invited to (very recent)
    7. bank statements and bills addressed to us separately but showing the same address, and some transfers between accounts.
    8. A holiday itinerary from a trip to Miami in February of last year. I don't have other itineraries but our passports have matching stamps for Egypt and the states on the way to New Zealand at new year. Wow, I'm going to have to cut down on those holidays aren't I.
    9. A letter from his grandma to the two of us

I think that should be enough. My partner is infuratingly blase and reckons I'm going overboard with all the letters and photos but I think the fact that we don't have joint bills, accounts or many things addressed to us both is important.

Any thoughts?

hi GeordieLass
    there are some other threads about applying via partnership, full of good advice, so search the forum if you haven't already.

From what other people have said, NZIS does seem to really want joint bank accounts etc, so I think you're right that if you don't have those things, then you do need to "go overboard" with other proof.

This is the proof of partnership that I'm (well it's Nik's application but I'm actually doing it all ) submitting for his work visa. Note that the visa officer I spoke to said they don't need as much detail as for PR, so I will be giving them more than this for the PR application.:
    - marriage certificate
    - our son’s birth certificate showing us as parents
    - our Oregon driver licenses showing the same address
    - rental lease signed by both of us
    - bank statements showing joint accounts, January 2005 and June 2006
    - 2005 federal and Oregon tax returns showing married filing jointly status
    - medical insurance statement showing me as his spouse
    - utility bills in joint names - (cable TV, gas, electric)

Another important thing is (I'm sure you already know this, but just in case), you must have been living together for 12 months.

Feel free to ask us as many questions as you come up with!
    Avril

Hmmm... now I'm wondering if the letter that I wrote a few months ago was sufficient? My partner's new employer's lawyers are handling the work visa and PR applications for him (we mailed them a binder with all our documents and his health certs etc). I just copied the relevant parts of the letter from the partnership sponsorship form and left it at that. Maybe five or six sentences? Hope the lawyers let us know in time if there's a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast