Thread: Chartered Accountants

Default Chartered Accountants

Has anyone out there used their UK accountancy qualification to become a member of the NZ Institute of Chartered Accountants?

I understand that you have to sit tax and law exams and wondered what they are like?

Also what is the paperwork / time taken to get recognised like?

Are the continuing professional development requirements in NZ similar to the UK ones?

Any accountants out there that have been through this already that can help????

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl
    Has anyone out there used their UK accountancy qualification to become a member of the NZ Institute of Chartered Accountants?

I understand that you have to sit tax and law exams and wondered what they are like?

Also what is the paperwork / time taken to get recognised like?

Are the continuing professional development requirements in NZ similar to the UK ones?

Any accountants out there that have been through this already that can help????
    Hi Trigirl

Haven't emigrated so cannot provide what your require but I have looked into it previously myself

I am ACCA qualified and conversion for this would mean sitting ALL the exams with the ICANZ as well as the practical experience I believe. This is not something I would personally do
    If you are ICAEW/ICAS qualified in UK then I believe you will "only" have to sit the final level of exams as well as practical experience. I think this would be like sitting PE2 (or whatever they call it these days!) again

The ICANZ website does have details of conversion requirements on its website which you may find useful and they do reply if you contact them

I also believe the ICAEW qualifictaion is recognised in the application processed but the ACCA one may have to be assessed by NZQA although it should still get you your 50 points or so

I think CPD requirements are very similar to the UK system which now seems quite uniform across the main accountancy bodies these days

The big 4 all have presences within the three main cities in NZ so their websites and HR departments are also worth a look.Most have details of current positions although not salaries.

Seek.co.nz has plenty of accountancy jobs also to look through

If you do a search on the whitepages (directory)of the area you are looking at you can also see all the accountancy practices in the area. Most of these have websites with contact details. You will see that there are a lot of small firms in NZ

Salaries as I am sure you are aware are generally lower pound for pound than the UK

Hope this helps in some small way

Regards

Paul

thanks for your help Paul

luckily we already have PR (husband applied not me so didn't need to use ICAEW quals) and I have a job to go to so no issues there.

interesting the idea of sitting final level exams again. i had no idea that you would have to totally requalify as ACCA. for ICAEW the icanz website only said i needed to sit law/tax exams ("orientation topics") which look as though they are 1st year degree level exams from the local uni or from the open polytechnic. from the outside they certainly don't look as though they are likely to be as hard as the professional exams were - i was just interested to find out if anyone had done it so far. thankfully no practical experience requirements either.

good news on CPD - i definitely didn't fancy trying to do that twice!

i agree salaries aren't quite what they are in london! thankfully for us at least neither will costs be.

hope it works out for you depending on what you decide to do.

mandy

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl
    thanks for your help Paul

luckily we already have PR (husband applied not me so didn't need to use ICAEW quals) and I have a job to go to so no issues there.

interesting the idea of sitting final level exams again. i had no idea that you would have to totally requalify as ACCA. for ICAEW the icanz website only said i needed to sit law/tax exams ("orientation topics") which look as though they are 1st year degree level exams from the local uni or from the open polytechnic. from the outside they certainly don't look as though they are likely to be as hard as the professional exams were - i was just interested to find out if anyone had done it so far. thankfully no practical experience requirements either.

good news on CPD - i definitely didn't fancy trying to do that twice!

i agree salaries aren't quite what they are in london! thankfully for us at least neither will costs be.

hope it works out for you depending on what you decide to do.

mandy
    Hi Mandy

Can I ask did you get a job in NZ from the Uk or are you transferring with existing employer?

Can I ask what %age drop you believe salary to be from London for your job as an indication - don't worry if you'd rather not, just very difficult to get real world info sometimes!

Best of luck with the move

Paul

i got the job from the uk - actually from a contact at the expo. we were part way through the PR application process when it was offered.

i'll be earning approx 60% of my london salary. i know what you mean though - it can be very difficult to get salary info!

Thanks Mandy

I've PM'd you

Regards
    Paul