Thread: teachers aide / Teaching assistant

Default teachers aide / Teaching assistant

Hi - we are hoping to come out next year and find work (have posted on another thread) then get visas once we have jobs.

I work part time as a teaching assistant in UK and have a level 2 qualification. At the expo we were told the teachers aides over there don't really need any qualifications.

Just wondered if anyone can back this up and tell me any more info - is it hard /easy to pick up a TA job in New Zealand?

Any info most appreciated

One of our customers at the ski shop had a special needs child and when I mentioned that I used to be a teaching asst in special needs she promptly tried to get me to apply for a job at her sons school. She seemed to imply that there is a bit of a shortage of teaching asst. with experience.

thanks for the reply Veronica
    I'm hoping it's not going to be hard to get a job once I arrive but need to see what people over there actually think!
    I have the option to do an extra course (following on from my NCFE level 2) in Special Needs - perhaps its worth me looking into it - even though the qualification doesn't apply in NZ (I think!)

Very easy - no you wont need qualifications.
    But be prepared to do much more "menial" tasks than you are used to.
    The pay is awful though!
    approx $10-$11 per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    The pay is awful though!
    approx $10-$11 per hour.
    ok it's not great but I cannot think of many other jobs (other than temping) when you can guarantee to get school holidays off and working hrs to suit kids - I'll just have to make sure hubbie gets a good job (salary!!)

thanks carol

HI Vixxann,

I work as a teacher aide at a high school and get nearly $14 an hour term time only .

It works well with me as I can get my little ones to school then I start at 8.45am and finish at 2.45 to pick them up.

I hadn't had any previous experience ,but I have the NNEB qualification from years ago .I first got a morning job at a primary school ,then I got the full school day job a few months later.

I work with the kids that need extra help ,do lots of resources ,photocopying ,computer work and display work on walls.

There are always jobs advertised most weeks in the local papers around here.

Good luck ,

Marie x

Quote Originally Posted by Marie P

I hadn't had any previous experience ,but I have the NNEB qualification from years ago .

There are always jobs advertised most weeks in the local papers around here.
    Thanks Marie - did you find the NNEB helped you get your job or was it not necessary at all - as I say I have the NDFE level 2 Teaching Assistant but am thinking whether or not to do the Special Needs option.

Can I ask how you found your first job in the Primary school - was it through a local paper ad?

The duties will probably be similar to what I do now - I work mornings only in my local primary plus I do welfare duties at lunch time (dinnerlady!)

Hi Vixxann,

The first job they only had a vague idea what my NNEB meant ,but I think they were more interested in my life experience [mother of 3 ,helped out lots in school over the years],and being English [the job was with ESOL dept [english as a second language]].Also my sparkling personality and the fact I was willing to work for the pittance !!!

But at least I dont need to pay for after school or holiday care for my kids .

Then for my second job I had actual experience and a reference ,and the head of Department had lived in the UK and had heard of it.

I found both jobs in the local paper ,there are positions most weeks ,mainly just 15-20 hours ,my 30 hours a week doesn't appear as often .

Where are you wanting to live ?

Marie x

Quote Originally Posted by Marie P
    Also my sparkling personality and the fact I was willing to work for the pittance !!!

But at least I dont need to pay for after school or holiday care for my kids .

Where are you wanting to live ?
    I must have that sparkling personality too then (and working for pittance just so I get to be with my kids more! We have three kids (12, 10 & 4).

We don't have anywhere set particularly in our minds yet - we are over next March for a reccy so there are quite a few places on our list to check out. I suppose the deciding point will be wherever my hubbie can get work and then hopefully I will find a TA job there too. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he can find work fairly easily throughout NZ (thats what we were told at the expo) he'll be looking for work in joinery/construction.

Thanks for your reply on my other thread too - I'll see if I can find her and PM

So glad to hear this! I had not seen anything regarding teacher's aides. I have worked as a sub at our local elementary/high school as an aide for 8 years and permanent part-time for the last 2 years with a state license.
    I was wondering what the particulars for getting hired in NZ would be for this job. I have worked with many special needs kids and have done other office duties and in-class work also. Thrilled to hear it is fairly easy and needed!!

Thanks for the info!

Terry