Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurses' salary

Hi,we are thinking of Auckland when we relocate in Nov 08 and as i am a nurse tha ADHB would be an option for work .How for do you travel to work?Where are good areas locally in which to live nearby the hospital?I am currently community nursing and would love to be able to do this in NZ.Do you know what the other hospitals are like in auckland?There is so much to consider and with 2 boys 12 and 8 then working hours must be thought out.Need to find so much out.

extinctkiwi Guest

Default Job offer at 45,000 nzd

Hi

My husband has been offered a job as a registered nurse. He has 2 years post reg experience in the UK and will be on 23.70 NZD per hour which roughly equates to about 45,000 per annum. Hope this helps. Might add that the increments are negligible so it doesn't ever get much better than this with work experience. You will be on this or just slightly more for most of your career. That is why people with 25 years experience are on quite similar amounts.

Regards

J

Quote Originally Posted by jshack52 View Post
    Hi

My husband has been offered a job as a registered nurse. He has 2 years post reg experience in the UK and will be on 23.70 NZD per hour which roughly equates to about 45,000 per annum. Hope this helps. Might add that the increments are negligible so it doesn't ever get much better than this with work experience. You will be on this or just slightly more for most of your career. That is why people with 25 years experience are on quite similar amounts.

Regards

J
    Where did you find out about the increments not being much better? From what I have been told it is normal for wages to increase to approx $54,000 per annum after 5 years post reg experience (not sure that it gets much higher after this though?).

Depending on which Union you are going with will also depend on your salary level e.g. NZNO have recently agreed a pay rise for their members which I believe is meant to be payed from the end of November?

Ian

IanW99,
    You're right, top increment ( step 5 ) for a Level 2 is $54,000.( not including enhancements. ) Thereafter, it rises approx $2000 for each Level, although it works out more as that's only the basic so all shift allowances, overtime rates increase also. I can't remember the NZNO figures at the moment but they've already negotiated the pay rises for the next 3 years. I think year 3 equates to a rise of 4.5%. I'm not sure, but we all voted "yes" at the meeting, anyway.

jackie2,
    Auckland City Hospital is in Grafton and so is easily accessible from pretty much anywhere. I think the ADHB community nurses are based at Greenlane Clinical Centre, though I could be wrong there. Again GCC is fairly easy to get to, it all depends on how much of a commute you fancy and if you're keen on urban or rural living. Before we came to Auckland, I bought an A-Z from clearwatertarn(?) and used the journey planner on the MAXX website to try and get an idea on where was feasible to live / work.
    Hope someone else can be of more help...

K
    Last edited by snailandthewhale; 12th November 2007 at 07:15 PM.

extinctkiwi Guest

Hi

We were given the scale that the employer uses :

level 1: 20
    Level 2: 22
    Level 3: 23
    Level 4: 25

(the above are automatic and annual)

Merit levels:
    Merit 1: 26
    Merit 2: 27

(merit levels are on completion of educational development and are voluntary)

Thats as far as it goes for a registered nurse so the most you can be on ever is 27 if you are a registered nurse.

Hope this makes it cleaer

J

PS these are basic hourly rates not including shift allowances

hi k.thanks for the info.how do you find nursing in auckland and what are the hours in the hospitals if i cannot work on the community?Are they very child friendly over there when you have school age children?How long have you been out there and are you settled?Lots of questions ,hopefully not too many.we are hoping to come over next summer so we are at the selling of house stage and breaking the news to family before they see the for sale sign.hard that was!Have you made friends easily?lots to think about .glad there are people like you to answer our questions and help us.

extinctkiwi Guest

Hi Jackie

We have not moved out there yet, my husbands job starts in janaury. We were told it would be hard to get a community job as that was what we wanted too, as my hubby is a community nurse but he has managed to get one for 32 hours per week so we are really pleased. we applied direct not via an agency and found this better as agencies tend to want to put you forward for stuff they want to fill and also get a fee for doing so and thefore are not impartial. They were the ones saying to us you willl have to take aged care and wont get a community job but that seems not to be the case. The agencies we spoke to were helpful though so if they have a job you actually want go for it. So far everyone we have spoken to in NZ has been really helpful. Good luck with the house sale i hope it all goes well for you.

J

hi j .That sounds really encouraging and helpful.I would love to continue with my community nursing.Have worked in the hospital setting also for many years.I have contacts with an agency but have not committed to them yet so will find out as much info about jobs on the community myself.The main thing will be OH job as maintenance engineer and his hours to all fit in with the children,8 and 12.what a headache.jackie

Hi.
    Sorry I'm no good at links, but if you go to,
    www.nzno.org.nz
    Click on About Us, then Campaigns.
    Click on Fair Play, in the new page, about halfway down, you'll see the heading DHB MECA 2006, just below this are the MECA updates in pdf format, the one you want is,
    Ratification Bulletin
    On page 2, in the box marked Registered Nurses and Registered Midwives
    are the pay scales for a Level 2 Nurse, the 1 through 5 up the side are the Steps ( increments ) as you can see at 5 years experience the basic pay is now $55620 ( just gone up from $54000 ) and in 2009 will be $60159
    This box only shows the basic for a Level 2 nurse and so you have to factor in your unsocial, other enhancements ( some of my colleagues earn another $15-20000 this way ) and progression to Level 4 ( at least another $4000 basic based on pre-MECA figures. )
    Also there, are the scales for community nurses and senior nurses and as you can see they earn considerably more.
    This is the collective bargaining agreement for all DHBs which has now been passed.
    I'd keep an eye on the vacancies at
    www.aucklandhealthcareers.co.nz
    this covers the 3 DHBs and I'd definitely agree that you should apply direct to the DHBs.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by snailandthewhale; 14th November 2007 at 08:35 PM.

cheers thanks for that mind of information.are you currently working yourself in nz as a nurse?you seen to know the score.I am brain dead at the moment trying to research everything.lots to consider.I am a level 2 nurse who has been qualified for quite a while so would that put me up up the incremental ladder? thanks Jackie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast