Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relocating in NZ by April 2006

Cool relocating in NZ by April 2006

Hi guys!!

I'm a newbie here and have been dying to post for ages. My account just got activated this morning..so here I am!!!

My husband and I are relocating to NZ by April 2006. But if I get a job offer before then, we want to relocate sooner! I am toooo excited to move to NZ. Reading the posts here is making me even more excited

I'm a Filipino-Australian (dual) citizen so I am able to work in NZ without a work permit. I'm an SAP-ABAP consultant with 5 years experience. Is anybody here into SAP? How's the market for ABAPers? Are there more work in Wellington or Auckland? My husband and I are newly-weds and finances are tight. So I am really hoping to get work within the month that we move.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Tofu, welcome to the forum!!
    Sorry I can't answer SAP/ABAP (no idea what they mean, even!) but I'm sure someone here will be able to.....
    Just wanted to say good luck with the wedding and the big move, let us know how it all goes,
    Gil

Hi Tofu, welcome here!
    SAP market is strong in NZ, sap skills are on the shortage list. I'm sure that also ABAPpers are very welcome there (my husband is SAP PP/MM/various other and he got headhunted and was offered a job in no time). Try a few job agencies and send them your cv! Morgan Campbell is the agency that headhunted us. Good luck!

I've seen SAP jobs posted in Welly. Seems cheaper there too. Best of luck to you both!

Hi Tofu (love the name BTW)

I did a quick search on Seek (seek.co.nz) for SAP jobs and got a return of 144 currently available. And that's over the holidays so I would imagine you won't have a hard time finding a job that works for you. There are quite a few job websites (PM me if you need a list) but be aware that most places want you to be in NZ before they hire you. That said, if SAP (plus ABAP) is in really high demand you can probably call the shots.

As for Wellington vs Auckland...I think that is more a matter of personal preference. I'm in Wellington and I love it for a lot of reasons but there are good and bad points for both areas. To be honest, I've only seen the Auckland airport but from what I've read on this forum and other places, the urban sprawl is more than I can handle. I just moved away from that in the US and didn't want to land in it in NZ. You might want to consider (budget-wise) if you are planning on buying a car. I think Welly is more pedestrian- friendly so it could be a consideration. There was a thread devoted to that question: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5075.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! Its a great bunch of friendly people with lots of information and the willingness to help.

Susan

SAP- theres a blast from the past, well better get my notes out if thats in demand!

me I started off on the implementation team, then worked on logistics and stores for 4 yrs!

funny how skills that you thought were irrelivant come back into play

Hi guys!!!

Many thanks for your replies.

I'm really glad to hear that there may be plenty of opportunities for me in New Zealand. I think new job posts have slowed down for the holidays. I'm really praying I get more positive replies soon!!! I have been seeing so many good stuff about NZ on TV lately. My husband and I can't wait to migrate.

Susan, Tofu is my puppy's name =) He was supposed to be named Toffee because of his color...but my dad, being the Chinese-y guy that he is, misheard his name...soooo that's how Toffee became Tofu!

Thanks for the posts!!!

just being nosy, but was is SAP and ABAP?
    welcome to the forum Tofu.

Hi Hannah!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

SAP is an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system. It's IT-related. ABAP is the programming language of SAP. Basically, I'm an IT geek =)

Sie haben recht, Tofu.
    In German it is "Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung".
    It changed to Systems, Applications and Products (SAP) for the rest of us. And ABAP stands for Advanced Business Application Programming.
    Regards,
    Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast