Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Citizenship Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    Hm for your birth certificate perhaps?

not sure as I have provided then with the original anyway I received all my documents back by courier today

Hi catash,

Which country were you born in?

There is nothing on the guidance document to say they need to cross check with the overseas government by themselves. Plus it is unlikely that all governments of many countries would respond. Think Afghanistan, Myanmar, Somalia etc

If I read the guidance correctly, if it is necessary, the onus is on the applicant to supply the overseas PCC or to provide other info.

“Checks are undertaken with external agencies to identify whether they hold any information detrimental to an applicant’s character.

These agencies include, but are not limited to:
    *New Zealand Police (some convictions are assessed under section 9A of the Citizenship Act)
    *New Zealand Security Intelligence Service
    *Ministry of Social Development
    *Ministry of Justice
    *Inland Revenue Department
    *Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

In addition, some applicants are required to supply clearances from overseas agencies or to provide other information.

Applicants are not required to provide character references unless the Department has received information that is potentially detrimental to their character.”

I have known a friend who got their in-person approval in 10 days in Wellington. How the applications are processed is rather arbitrary in my opinion. I had made a complaint to the department and their statistics show that it took them almost 2 times the days to process an online application. The reason they gave was their employees were not trained on the online system and COVID did not allow them to process applications during Levels 3 and 4. They need to be more efficient. The checks needed in the case of citizenship are significantly less than when applying for PR. They state 7-12 months for processing on their website. Why can't they provide a mean, median, and range of the processing time for online and in-person applications?
    Last edited by jamboree787; 21st March 2021 at 10:21 AM.

Hi jamboree787,

If it was true then it is down to the matter of luck? Good luck = fast allocation, early approval?

I applied in person as well, haven’t heard from them for over a month. When I applied the person at the counter said that I would be receiving an acknowledgment within 3 weeks. But nothing happened. Rang the phone number and the call taker was angry and not helpful. She said that they “received my application” but when I asked if she could see my application on their system, she said no. No application reference number. How could she say that if she herself couldn’t find my application on their system?

How can they deal with the workflow without a reference number? Every year they have 35,000 applications, so roughly 3,000 a month. If there was no workflow / numbering system, how can they keep track of the work? Would they just say, oh this guy application is on Mr A’s desk, this girl application is somewhere on the shelf??! Make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by l00k View Post
    Hi jamboree787,

If it was true then it is down to the matter of luck? Good luck = fast allocation, early approval?

I applied in person as well, haven’t heard from them for over a month. When I applied the person at the counter said that I would be receiving an acknowledgment within 3 weeks. But nothing happened. Rang the phone number and the call taker was angry and not helpful. She said that they “received my application” but when I asked if she could see my application on their system, she said no. No application reference number. How could she say that if she herself couldn’t find my application on their system?

How can they deal with the workflow without a reference number? Every year they have 35,000 applications, so roughly 3,000 a month. If there was no workflow / numbering system, how can they keep track of the work? Would they just say, oh this guy application is on Mr A’s desk, this girl application is somewhere on the shelf??! Make no sense.

May I know which office?

Quote Originally Posted by l00k View Post
    Hi catash,

Which country were you born in?

There is nothing on the guidance document to say they need to cross check with the overseas government by themselves. Plus it is unlikely that all governments of many countries would respond. Think Afghanistan, Myanmar, Somalia etc

If I read the guidance correctly, if it is necessary, the onus is on the applicant to supply the overseas PCC or to provide other info.

“Checks are undertaken with external agencies to identify whether they hold any information detrimental to an applicant’s character.

These agencies include, but are not limited to:
    *New Zealand Police (some convictions are assessed under section 9A of the Citizenship Act)
    *New Zealand Security Intelligence Service
    *Ministry of Social Development
    *Ministry of Justice
    *Inland Revenue Department
    *Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

In addition, some applicants are required to supply clearances from overseas agencies or to provide other information.

Applicants are not required to provide character references unless the Department has received information that is potentially detrimental to their character.”

hi l00k im a malaysian... but she was not refering to my application that they are checking with malaysia BUT when she said it will take some to i ask her why other are being approved within 3 to two weeks she said that not true as we have to contact their home country so im not sure what is their process

The only thing here is I hope who ever have got theirs approve so fast hopefully its true

thanks

I have submitted my citizenship application on 1st November, waiting eagerly now. Anyone else recently submitted? My email from them says it should take between 9 and 14 months!

After submitting I got "We will assess the application and contact you within 5 to 10 months" & and email saying "we will assess the application and tell you the outcome within 9 to 14 months".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123