Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Citizenship Timeline

Congratulations.

Partner and I applied online Aug 2020.
    He has just received an email that states his contact details and goes on:

If you do not keep us up-to-date with your contact details and current circumstances, or respond to our requests for information, after six months your application will be presented to the Minister for a decision based on the available information.
    When your application is completed, it will be sent to the Minister of Internal Affairs for consideration and you will be sent an email with the result.

This email isn’t actually requesting any information or reply, it seems to me a tacit acceptance process ie if it’s ok say nothing.
    My reading of the above is that they will leave it 6 months THEN present his application to the Minister and it will THEN be sent to DIA. Then and only then might he get invited to a citizenship ceremony of which the last this year in our district is in November so I don’t much fancy his chances.
    Am I reading the above correctly or is it better than the email makes out? I’m reluctant to email DIA because they’re already so unbelievably slow I daren’t delay them further.
    Can’t believe it’s taking so long, what the hell do they actually DO?
    Meanwhile I’ve heard nothing about my own application (applied on the same day)

That's pretty much the Department of Internal Affairs reading you the riot act with regards to their Lost Contact policy, of which you can find more detail in the Citizenship Guidance Document.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    That's pretty much the Department of Internal Affairs reading you the riot act with regards to their Lost Contact policy, of which you can find more detail in the Citizenship Guidance Document.
    So because we haven’t been regularly harassing them since we applied 9 months ago (knowing the current timeline is stated as 7-12 months and we’re doing fine for now with PR) we could be deemed to be no longer interested? That’s nonsensical!! It’s all very poorly worded and seems designed to trap you. And we’re native English speakers, how is anyone who has it as their second language going to cope?

What the email needs to say is - if these are your details please confirm and we’ll crack on. It doesn’t.

The wording is clear. This is the Deparment of Internal Affairs confirming that the contact details they have on record for you are correct, while warning you that if you are deemed to have lost contact, a decision will be made that may not be in your favour. No more, no less.

It remains your responsibility to inform the Department of Internal Affairs with regards to changes to your circumstances, including your contact details.

A requirement for the grant of New Zealand citizenship is the ability of manage independently in everyday situations using English. If people cannot understand or misinterpret communication from the Department of Internal Affairs, that's their problem, and in my opinion they should not have applied for the grant of New Zealand citizenship in the first place.

Frootbat is clearly proficient (fluent) in English so that dig is unnecessary. Besides, one doesn’t receive a letter from DIA every day.

I actually agree with them the letter is a bit unclear.

“If you do not keep us up-to-date with your contact details and current circumstances, or respond to our requests for information, after six months your application will be presented...”

While the “if we ask you for something and you don’t respond, after 6 months we will do x” part is clear, “if you don’t keep us up to date, after 6 months we will do x” doesn’t really make sense - how are they going to determine your contact details changed if you haven’t let them know and they don’t need more information? The decision will be based on the information they have then (and whether you still live in say Tauranga or have moved to Dunedin doesn’t matter). You might miss the invite for the ceremony but a decision will be made.

The letter could have just said: “If you do not respond, then x, so make sure your contact details are up to date.”

Being able to write clear communications is also part of mastering a language :-)
    Last edited by LemonAndPaeroa; 21st May 2021 at 08:40 AM.

According to this OIR asked by a guy named S Rasool, the queue is currently August 2020.

https://fyi.org.nz/request/15205-cit...incoming-58202

The number of staff increased from 40 to 48 but the monthly output keeps decreasing if looking at appendix A.

Quote Originally Posted by l00k View Post
    The number of staff increased from 40 to 48 but the monthly output keeps decreasing if looking at appendix A.
    Not entirely unsurprising: it would take time to train the new staff, and some of the existing staff would be involved in the training process (so, less resources processing cases). It's usually the case where increasing staff leads to a short-term decrease in productivity (for most industries: this is most certainly not limited to the Department of Internal Affairs!); the benefits come in only once they're fully trained and up to speed (and no, I don't know how long this takes at the DIA).

Hi How long From approved to Citizenship Ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by vicknee View Post
    Hi How long From approved to Citizenship Ceremony?
    I'm still waiting for my ceremony.
    This is what I received in my Approval Email.

What happens next?
    • The ceremonies team will contact you within 5 months to advise the date and venue of the ceremony.
    • You will become a citizen and receive a citizenship certificate at your ceremony.
    • You will then be eligible to apply for a New Zealand passport, if you would like one.

What do you need to do?
    • You must attend a ceremony in the district in which you live.
    • You must attend a ceremony within 1 year or the approval for the grant of citizenship will lapse.

What about changes in COVID-19 alert levels?
    If the Government’s COVID-19 alert level changes your citizenship ceremony may be cancelled at short notice.
    If your local council cannot safely hold your ceremony because of a change in alert levels, you will be sent your citizenship certificate via courier post.

Are you planning on travelling overseas?
    If you need to travel overseas before your ceremony, you must:
    • use your current passport or travel document, and
    • contact us immediately to let us know your travel dates.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast