Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland Airport Bio-security

Default Auckland Airport Bio-security

Just over three weeks until we hit the ground in Hawkes Bay - getting excited!!!

Anyways, I had a question regarding going through Auckland Airport Bio-security. Do they want to visually inspect every pair of shoes you are bringing in your luggage or just your tramping boots?

I have only heard tramping boots mentioned and as a result we are planning on just having our boots in our carry-on bags to avoid having to dig them out of our luggage when arriving in Auckland from LAX. But if it is every pair, then that will not likely work out.

We had a suitcase full of shoes, and they didn't stop us to scan anything. We didn't have any tramping boots with us though.

They had me get some hiking boots out of my luggage and had a look at the bottom. They X-ray all the bags and may ask you to get some things out. I told them I had visited the state fair in the past month with the shoes I was wearing and they had a brief look at those as well. Otherwise they were not bothered about the other shoes we had packed.

Haven't ever been stopped to see anything from inside the luggage. The last time, they did ask me to pick up my feet so they could see the 'tractor tyre'-type soles of my sandals were clean, that was all.

They asked to see and inspected my tramping boots but they were brand new and they passed us through.
    Unshoe related, but another time a security beagle sounded our carry-on and the handler asked if we had had bananas in there...we didn't, just peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and we had thrown the remains away on the plane. She asked if we had ever had bananas in there and we explained that the luggage was brand new. After a few more banana queries, she walked away staring at the dog with a bewildered expression on her face.
    Morals: brand new doesn't always keep you out of trouble and don't travel with bananas

I had 3 pairs of Wellingtons (gumboots) in one case which was picked up on the x-ray scanner. They just asked me what they were, and I explained that they were children's boots which I had cleaned before packing them - they were more than welcome to open the case and have a look. However, I think they took pity on a lone woman travelling with 3 little ones and just let me on through without looking at them.

It was a rather long trip for me, and my memories are fading fast, but I have this strange feeling that we may have all had to walk over a disinfectant mat. Does anybody else recall doing this?

They looked at our bicycle and our hiking boots, and that's it. We also had spices, pasta, and a whole bunch of other stuff that they didn't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    They looked at our bicycle and our hiking boots, and that's it. We also had spices, pasta, and a whole bunch of other stuff that they didn't care about.
    Really? spices? I thought I'd have to give my spices away before I went. I guess I can't take saffron in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqi B View Post
    Really? spices? I thought I'd have to give my spices away before I went. I guess I can't take saffron in?
    Generally if it is new and unopened then you should declare it and they will let them through.

Biosecurity isn't as tough as most people imagine - I came through with a big chunk of fruit based wedding cake for my Gran a few years ago and they let it in!

What they don't want are things that could either have insects / animals or "active" seeds in them (ie if it can't be grown then they are more relaxed so long as you declare).

What hasn't been stated here yet is that you have to fill out a declaration form. It asks about shoes / boots etc, and also where you have been (farms, hiking etc.)

My experience is - declare everything you have a concern about and then explain it so - 'Yes I do have hiking boots but I have cleaned them so you could eat your lunch of them'.....

....I saw one young couple just infront of me who hadn't declared anything and when they were x rayed they had to go to one side and unpack ALL their cases - I think they had dirty shoes, and food and .......

......and that could lead to a BIG fine.

Anyway if your emigrating it's going to be your country so I think everyone would want to keep it free from imported pests and diseases or?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast