Thread: Immigration of Parents ?

Default Immigration of Parents ?

Hi,

I am planning to apply for LTBV for new zealand. I have a mother-in-law aged 62 whom I want to take with me in LTBV application. I cant seem to find any option to include her in my application as NZ doesnt seem to accept old age independent individual. While Australia gives some respect to that.

Is there any option to bring her along as I really don't want to leave her alone (my wife is the only child and her husband is not alive).

Any help would be beneficial...

Hello and welcome.

I'm afraid there is not an easy or quick solution. The lady cannot be part of your application. However, there are ways in which she may be able to join you after some time.

The route most people take is that of sponsoring her under the Family Stream when once you have held Residence for two [edited: THREE, see below] years. All the details are here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...categories.htm In the meantime, she could spend long periods visiting by obtaining a parents'/grandparents' multiple entry visa (details on a link from that same page).

If she is wealthy, she could enter under the Investor programme. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

You need to be a resident for three years (not two) and then the process takes actually 18-24 month (which makes it 5+ years) - I am in the similar situation and its really not easy to bring parents here in short time ;/

Woops, sorry - brainslip. Yes, THREE years.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Woops, sorry - brainslip. Yes, THREE years.
    Getting lazy at this time: Three years after permanent resident with travel restrictions or after indefinite permanent residence?

Also I assume that health requirements are the same as always.

Part of my reason to move to NZ is to leave the olds behind...lol.....sorry, no offence....

Ralf, after activating Residence upon first arrival. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm And yes, health requirements for the parents are the same as for anyone else.

Well, MetalSoul, trusting YOUR olds aren't reading this, to be not offended. I guess those of us whose children are offering to sponsor us know somebody will be glad to see us if we eventually make it.