Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulp.

Default Gulp.

Removals are in. I'm VERY stressed now... Having spent weeks de-cluttering (an unbelievable amount of rubbish sacks), about 40 min after they arrived they said that they think that 20' is massively under and we'd probably be over on a 40'. How is that possible? We definitely have less than when we were quoted (and way less than the 1st quoter who said we were 3/4 of a 40' which was before we threw anything away!).

So- now stressed and worrying that we are going to have to leave loads behind

Fingers crossed that all you really want to take will fit in!
    When we came out we were quoted for a 40 feet highcube, apparently the biggest container available, and in the end there was quite a bit of space left! The person who did the quote must have had some experience, so don't fret yet!

Yes, fingers crossed for you. If you get much more talk like this from the packers, I'd be talking to their office, wanting some sense from the person who came and assessed the job.

It could be a question of talking up the difficulty, with an idea that when it does eventually all fit, you'll be so grateful you'll tip them well... or am I being very cynical?

If someone came out and did an estimation/inspection I'd be on the horn to them ASAP. And re-read your contract to see what happens if it exceeds your container's limit.

Ask to see the boss. Immediately. If they said it will fit, that's their problem. If they say it will fit 20ft and then can't fit it in a 40ft, they are seriously incompetent. Besides, I would be really surprised if you had more stuff that will fit in a 40ft. We put the contents of our house for 2 adults and 1 child as well as a subaru outback in a 40ft. With a bit of space to spare.
    Hope all goes well with your second packing day. At least it is not snowing!

Remember you can always get a partial fill on a shared container if there is excess.

Gosh I hope it all works out for you. Crossing my finger that our house will fit into a 20' container.

Ok- so we managed to fit most of what we wanted onto the container. 204 boxes in all (and I overheard one of the team saying that he would never have believed that they could fit so much onto a 20' and doesn't want to see any more books!)

We left behind (as expected) suite and freezer (both getting on a bit). We ended up leaving our ezy spa (but I was really worried about cleaning it anyway), a dolls house and a small set of books, as well as a bookcase.

Overall quite pleased. Now I just have to get back to my job at the Olympics, finish a writing project and then prepare for the flight itself.

I don't think I'll de-stress until I have done my first weeks work!

Anyhow- evening off tonight

Ah, books, was it? With our first house-move within the UK, the boss of the firm had come out and priced the job, then on the day, the movers were extremely anti the whole thing. They actually tried to leave without some of the house contents, under the excuse, 'If we don't start now, we won't finish unloading till after the end of the working day.' They DID put all our belongings on the lorry, I can assure you, but moaning the whole time, and the main man said, 'Books! [Expletive] books! You've got so many [expletive]books you ought to live in a [expletive] mansion, not a [expletive] semi!' I told him, even if I did, his boss had still agreed with me that he'd carry them all from one to the other. So I think books are maybe a sore point with moving men.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    So I think books are maybe a sore point with moving men.
    Yup, we had exactly the same, although I personally don't even thinknwevhave that many. The movers begged to differ.

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast