Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread maker

Default Bread maker

Great news got myself a bread maker and have made a loaf a day - Oh thinks this is better than Christmas - are others in NZ using a bread maker and is it a saving - what does it cost to make a loaf compared with buying a loaf?

Jayne

We bake a loaf around every 2-3 days Not that much cheaper than buying a loaf by the time you add it all up but you cant beat that fresh bread smell

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    We bake a loaf around every 2-3 days Not that much cheaper than buying a loaf by the time you add it all up but you cant beat that fresh bread smell
    And the spreading waistline..... but it does smell nice.... mmmmmmmmmmm.

Her indoors, leader of the opposition, she who must be obeyed, does her own icecream as well....... mmmmmmmmmmmm, Lemon Merangue Ice Cream.... Of course I only eat it to keep her happy you know....

We use a breadmaker for almost all of our own bread, and only keep an emergency loaf in the freezer for when we are desparate. We buy big 5kg bags of white and wholemeal flour and make 2 loaves per 3 days on average. We find it is about half the price compared to buying bread when you buy the ingredients in bulk.

Where we make the real savings is with speciality breads which are quite expensive here in NZ. We often make ciabatta, Garlic & Coriander Naan, Peshwari Naan, Foccacia, Pizza Dough, Calzone Dough, Raisin/Fruit bread, various different doughs for rolls/bagels etc. Also I love to make experimental flavoured breads, although we eat alot more of this in winter along with home made stew/chowder from the slowcooker....very cheap eating

the other thing we find here in NZ is that if you are using recipes from UK, North America etc, you might have to play about a bit with the amount of water, salt and yeast as the humidity here in NZ can make a considerable difference to the recipes in warm weather. For example when I make a 1000g Wholemeal bread I need to reduce the water level by 1/8 cup (flour absorbs more moisture from humid air) and reduce yeast by 1/2 teaspoon. If you need any suggestions, let me know!

We were making (and eating) one loaf of bread a day, until I worked out how many calories there were in a loaf of bread... Now we're down to about 1 every 2 or 3 days. I usually just make the dough in the breadmaker and then bake the bread in the oven.

But as Familyofmonkeys says, if you buy the ingredients in bulk it does work out cheaper (especially if you live in a small town without an abundance of bakers).

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    We use a breadmaker for almost all of our own bread, and only keep an emergency loaf in the freezer for when we are desparate. We buy big 5kg bags of white and wholemeal flour and make 2 loaves per 3 days on average. We find it is about half the price compared to buying bread when you buy the ingredients in bulk.

Where we make the real savings is with speciality breads which are quite expensive here in NZ. We often make ciabatta, Garlic & Coriander Naan, Peshwari Naan, Foccacia, Pizza Dough, Calzone Dough, Raisin/Fruit bread, various different doughs for rolls/bagels etc. Also I love to make experimental flavoured breads, although we eat alot more of this in winter along with home made stew/chowder from the slowcooker....very cheap eating

the other thing we find here in NZ is that if you are using recipes from UK, North America etc, you might have to play about a bit with the amount of water, salt and yeast as the humidity here in NZ can make a considerable difference to the recipes in warm weather. For example when I make a 1000g Wholemeal bread I need to reduce the water level by 1/8 cup (flour absorbs more moisture from humid air) and reduce yeast by 1/2 teaspoon. If you need any suggestions, let me know!

Ah good shout

I'm getting to grips with the slow cooker but not in the weather we having at the moment, defo the salads here

Ben

Thanks for all the info - Im churning out a loaf a day and when OH and son arrive home they tuck in with cheese and chutney - so its one a day - hope that wears off!!

Might have to ask for all the recipes fro you Famiy of Monkeys - they sound delicious.
    Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by Ian and Jayne View Post
    Thanks for all the info - Im churning out a loaf a day and when OH and son arrive home they tuck in with cheese and chutney - so its one a day - hope that wears off!!

Might have to ask for all the recipes fro you Famiy of Monkeys - they sound delicious.
    Jayne
    Jayne...I mostly adapt the recipes that came with my brad machine instructions, but I do recommend one little book that has been very useful:

One Hundred Bread Machine Recipes by Vicki Smallwood.

I think it is available on amazon and I adapt the naan and flatbread recipes and the foccacia with different ingredients/herbs etc and they all work out just fine!

Thanks Family of Monkeys - thats great will have a look now.

Cheers
    Jayne

I'm not sure my favourite Ciabatta recipe is in the book. Do you want me to PM you with it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast