Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent residency

Default Permanent residency

Hi there, just want to share my experience and let people know.

After 2 years you can apply for Permanent Residency and that's what I did last week. Last Monday I sent application with my passport to Immigration here in Auckland. Still did not hear anithing from them. I've just called them to ask what's happening as I am a bit worried where is my passport and the lady from immigration told me that my application is waiting for CO (for PR!) and it usually takes 25 working days! 25 instead of 10 day as it says on their website...

Obviously I will be waiting and I am not rush, just a bit disappointing as I am already a New Zealand resident and basically need to put new label in my passport for my money but still the whole process is like a nightmare...

Be aware of this long process and know that it is not that easy

Cheers!

Any news yet on your case ?

Well, yesterday I've received an email from them with acknowledgment of receiving my application. But also they told me that my credit card payment was declined and they asked me to check if I gave them correct info. It was 100% correct and I asked them to try once again and it worked.... lol so today I received one more acknowledgement email saying that they received my applications in Hamilton....weird as I live and apply from Auckland. It is getting even more interesting now...

And the reason why I am so frustrating is the fact that I now that 2 years ago you could go to Immigration and receive you Permanent resident visa label same day. I don't know why they make things so complicated...

I am doubted that after activated Resident Visa for 2 years, you can apply for a PR. At the same time, your Resident Visa travel condition should be expired. Is it means that there is a period of time that you must stay in NZ cannot leave?

for example:
    13/Sept/2017 Resident Visa activates
    13/Sept/2019 you are able to apply for PR, at the same date your Resident Visa travel condition expired (cannot re-enter NZ)
    apply PR needs 25 working days, means over a month. So start from 13/Sept/2019 until you got PR Visa, in this period you cannot leave NZ otherwise you may lose your resident identity??

how about if you got some urgent matter and have to leave NZ shortly in this period of time?
    Last edited by kne; 13th September 2017 at 06:46 PM.

Any application will take as long as it takes. That might me 1-2 days, or it might be months. Nothing is certain.

IF you needed to travel urgently, then visas can be issued with urgency

May I know what kind of visa can be applied urgently after RV travel condition expired?

Quote Originally Posted by kne View Post
    May I know what kind of visa can be applied urgently after RV travel condition expired?
    if you have a resident visa with expired travel conditions, then you would be applying for a PRV, or further resident visa. You only need this if you plan to travel, since your ability to remain in NZ is not effected by the expiry of NZ "Holder may remain in NZ indefinitely"

Thank you for your reply ChrisMwn.

In this sense, my understanding remained unchanged. When your Resident Visa travel condition expired, at the same day you are able to apply for PR Visa (my understanding is cannot apply earlier). Since now applying for PR Visa need over one month processing time, in this one month period before you got PRV on hand, do not leave NZ otherwise cannot come back.

You can only wish that no urgent matter happened that requires you to leave NZ in this one month.

Quote Originally Posted by kne View Post
    Thank you for your reply ChrisMwn.

In this sense, my understanding remained unchanged. When your Resident Visa travel condition expired, at the same day you are able to apply for PR Visa (my understanding is cannot apply earlier). Since now applying for PR Visa need over one month processing time, in this one month period before you got PRV on hand, do not leave NZ otherwise cannot come back.

You can only wish that no urgent matter happened that requires you to leave NZ in this one month.
    you cant be sure it will take a month, or 25 days, it might take just a couple of days . With no passport you couldn't leave the country in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    you cant be sure it will take a month, or 25 days, it might take just a couple of days . With no passport you couldn't leave the country in any case.
    much more clear now

the issue is not you cannot return, the issue is you cannot leave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast