Thread: Pets - Can we bring our puppy??

Default Pets - Can we bring our puppy??

Hi

We have a one year old husky/ridgeback cross puppy. She is like our child and we would like to bring her over as soon as we have suitable accommodation. I read most houses are not fenced in. She is trained, but used to being in her own garden. She is very sociable towards other dogs. The problem is she is more husky than anything and a "verbal" dog. She does not bark insistently at all, but she can bark at times if someone looking questionable walks past our house. Will this be a problem?

I read there are trainers there worth paying for to train your dog to stay within it's yard, not bark too much etc. is this a viable option? Also, how long exactly is the quarantine period once she arrives? Can anyone suggest a good company to work through with regards to her flight and place where she will be in quarantine? Can anyone give us an indication of the costs involved there? We already know it is going to be expensive , but we can't leave her behind

Hi
    I read from one of your other threads that you are allowing 6 months over here to find jobs etc and by the sound of it to see that NZ is for you. Because of the high costs etc and the stress on your puppy, is there anyone who can look after your dog while you get established? then you will be in a lot better position to bring your puppy over. By then you will also be able to find a rental that will except animals as that can also be hard here.

Find a pet shipper where you are and ask them for costs. They should be able to tell you about the veterinary requirements too. It's very important that all of this is completed in time and compliant with all regulations to enter NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanonthemove View Post
    Hi
    We have a one year old husky/ridgeback cross puppy. She is like our child and we would like to bring her over as soon as we have suitable accommodation. I read most houses are not fenced in. She is trained, but used to being in her own garden. She is very sociable towards other dogs. The problem is she is more husky than anything and a "verbal" dog. She does not bark insistently at all, but she can bark at times if someone looking questionable walks past our house. Will this be a problem?
    I don't see it as a problem, pets do tend to communicate (bark) when they are stressed or see any unusual activity in the surrounding. Our pet was stressed after we moved few countries with him, he had separation anxiety and would bark the moment we stepped out - it wasn't the case when we first got him home, so do consider about it.

Occasional barking is ok but if it becomes excessive then neighbors might drop a note or speak to you before complaining. At one of our previous rented property we used to hear dog barking around 7pm or 8pm which wasnt much of an issue for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanonthemove View Post
    I read there are trainers there worth paying for to train your dog to stay within it's yard, not bark too much etc. is this a viable option? Also, how long exactly is the quarantine period once she arrives? Can anyone suggest a good company to work through with regards to her flight and place where she will be in quarantine? Can anyone give us an indication of the costs involved there? We already know it is going to be expensive , but we can't leave her behind
    Yes, there are local trainers here like "D for Dogs" who were quite helpful to train our dog, there are also boarding facilities for pets if you are travelling or moving between houses. While moving from UK to NZ we used Golden Arrow who had really good feedback, just search for "pet movers" on the forum and you will find more of them and some reviews too, usually they give you quotes from couple of airlines and explain the process in advance.

Cost of getting the pets vaccination and rounds of tests conducted is expensive and complicated e.g. when we planned to move our pet from Singapore to NZ, we were told that it would take around 4-6 weeks in total with blood test taken at the beginning and end of 4 week period (no later than 1 or 2 week from travel date), followed by bio clearances here. When we moved from UK to here, it was around 5-6 weeks process and I guess largely it was same - costed around £4000.

[Its been really long so the numbers above are just rough estimate]

Yes, it all kind of depends on whether or not your country has ever had a rabies outbreak? In my case, getting my cat over here cost about USD$4k, including flight, quarantine, necessary vet visits. And it was a minimum 6-month process to boot. Ouch.

Thanks guys, this has been most helpful. We will most probably leave her with family till we have a suitable rental and get her over as soon as we can Luckily we haven't had any rabies breakouts or such, so will get our local vet to do all the shots she requires this side.

Yes of course why not even we should bring our Puppy. It is really a great Opportunity to show all the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NZ View Post
    Hi
    I read from one of your other threads that you are allowing 6 months over here to find jobs etc and by the sound of it to see that NZ is for you. Because of the high costs etc and the stress on your puppy, is there anyone who can look after your dog while you get established? then you will be in a lot better position to bring your puppy over. By then you will also be able to find a rental that will except animals as that can also be hard here.
    Thanks Dave

We will only bring her over once we are a bit more settled and have a rental that allows pets. In the interim she will be staying with family. It's expensive, but we can't not have her with us. Just hoping we secure employment and things fall into place.