Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving in NZ for the first time

Default Driving in NZ for the first time

Hi everyone
    I am going to drive for the first time in NZ, In have driven in India, Thailand, Malaysia etc and have driven for 6 years.

I would like to know how it is first time driving in NZ.
    How different is it from other countries?
    Please share your experience.
    I am booking a rent a car in Palmestor north airport.
    My first drive is going to be from Palmeston North to Levin, this Will be immediately after landing at the Palmeston North airport at 8 pm. I am also printing maps, preparing the GPS ETC.
    Hope the route is not so difficult travel.
    Would love to hear your experiences in driving in NZ
    Thanks

Palmy to Levin isn't hard. SH1 all the way down, and it's pretty well signposted. There are some alternatives you can take (I think Shannon you can go round or through?), but it's still posted as "this way to Levin / Wellington".

You will go through a lot of speed changes though. SH1 goes through villages as well as being the main transit route, so it will go down to 50k/h. Also, the cops are very aware of speeding. Around xmas, just don't speed. You will get pulled over if you're going too fast

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris for the information.
    I hope each road has got speed signage along the way, and I just have to follow it?

Are there speed cameras too through out the country ?

Have a look at this https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/driving-in-nz/ to make sure you know the rules of the road.

Yes, there is signage, but there are also limits on the open road that you need to know about and remember. There are some fixed speed cameras, and also camera vans and police with speed guns.

Also, I suggest you find your car rental office on here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-40.3...0756,16z?hl=en, then use Google Street View by 'picking up' the little orange man from bottom right, and you'll see the actual roads you will be driving away on, so it will look a bit familiar when you get there.

Please don't drive if you are tired, or have a few stops at least. Enjoy your trip..

Palmerston North to Levin, after 8 on a week night.....You'll be lucky to see more than a handful of cars. Remember nightfall currently is around 9pm. You should be in Levin by then. , The number one rule is to KEEP LEFT. You'll largely be on a two lane roads, once in each direction with no median barriers. If your not doing the speed limit , pull over and let traffic bedind you get past.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 13th December 2016 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Please don't drive if you are tired, or have a few stops at least. Enjoy your trip..
    hes going on 40 minute drive. hardly time for a few stops!

Thanks so Jandm for the reply.
    I will surely print out the signs and keep it handy With me. Driving in another country has been really exciting and anxious too
    Just booked a NISSAN WINGROAD pickup at Palmerston North airport, just to ensure that all our 5 big suitcase will fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Have a look at this https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/driving-in-nz/ to make sure you know the rules of the road.

Yes, there is signage, but there are also limits on the open road that you need to know about and remember. There are some fixed speed cameras, and also camera vans and police with speed guns.

Also, I suggest you find your car rental office on here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-40.3...0756,16z?hl=en, then use Google Street View by 'picking up' the little orange man from bottom right, and you'll see the actual roads you will be driving away on, so it will look a bit familiar when you get there.
    Last edited by farfaraway; 13th December 2016 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks ChrisMwn for the information regarding nightfall.
    I am lucky to have driven only in Asian countries(keep left).
    Are there rash drivers too in NZ? just being curious. I guess no because of the strict NZ laws.

There are rash drivers everywhere, because that's human nature, but all things are relative, and in comparison with what I've seen on TV of traffic in Indian cities, you won't think NZ drivers are generally bad!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast