Thread: Any thoughts on York Bay, Sunshine Bay, Days Bay?

Default Any thoughts on York Bay, Sunshine Bay, Days Bay?

Well, we've narrowed it down to Welly, at least as a stepping off point.
    Now I'd really like some opinions on the coastal communities south of central Lower Hutt. Property prices seem more reasonable (I'm sure for a reason!) and the idea of being able to Ferry it to the CBD from time to time is appealing.
    I know that Eastbourne is more expensive and apparently quite charming. Is it a case of the further south you go on Marine Drive, the better it gets?
    Opinions please!

Quote Originally Posted by bjtk1972 View Post
    Is it a case of the further south you go on Marine Drive, the better it gets?
    Err, no - the less convenient it gets, to be honest. Right at the end of Muritai there are a few nice places, but if you want the Gucci part of Eastbourne, it's Lowry Bay. In Eastbourne it's all about the hills and the section sizes - on a decent sized flat section and in the sun all year is preferable (and pricey).

You may find this useful:

http://gis.huttcity.govt.nz/pes/pres...ass/search.asp

Yup it sure is lovely (and expensive in the Eastbourne bays). The ferry crossing is great on a calm day but consider the rough days too (and boy do we get a few of them with all this wind!). There are a couple of bus routes to the CBD but it is single lane road and comes so close to the sea that the waves sometimes come up and onto the road!

Great cafes and restaurants around the Days Bay area.

Just as an FYI, rental properties in Eastbourne are rare, and Jenny at Select seems to manage most of them:

http://www.select-residential.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Chiba View Post
    Right at the end of Muritai there are a few nice places
    Muritai - I would LOVE to have a home there. But the commute to Wellington CBD would be a daily effort.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
    Muritai - I would LOVE to have a home there. But the commute to Wellington CBD would be a daily effort.
    We used to live about 10 houses from the end of the road. It was easy enough - just got on the bus and slept or read a book. It's not actually that big a deal to bike it, or even walk it, to the ferry. There are fair few who walk it - one guy who lives right at the end was telling me that it's basically his daily exercise - brisk walk to and from the ferry.

Days Bay makes you lazy. Ahem. eyes:

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Where does the ferry go from and how long does it take to the CBD? Also, how much is it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Where does the ferry go from and how long does it take to the CBD? Also, how much is it? Thanks
    The ferry runs from Days Bay. Fares and other details are here:

http://www.eastbywest.co.nz