Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Black Gutter Spider?

Thumbs down Big Black Gutter Spider?

I have a big black spider who makes webs all over my rain gutters. (is this a US term? the horizontal part of the downspouts, is what I mean)

The spiders seem to live in the expansion joints between the bricks and they are BIG and BLACK and CREEPY! Yuck!

I was told to "spray them" but we don't spray so I just remove their webs weekly and spray the spiders with a hose! Yuck!

Now I just found one curled up cozy in a towel in the house. It was really hard to squish, too. Yuck!

What are they? Are they dangerous?

(as a side note, I notice the cute little sparrows will fly along and pick flies out of the spider webs along the gutters!! They are so clever to "shop" for bugs that way--and they do it all day if I don't go remove the webs)

Are they these?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porrhothele_antipodiana (not to be confused with the OZ funnelweb spiders. These are apparently harmless, but OMG are they creepy or what!

Try this site to identify them

http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/ResearchAt.../overview.aspx

Not sure it's a Porrhothele antipodiana 'cause they are normally ground dwellers, but if the webs look dense and funnel shaped then it could be.

(just reread your description...as they live in gaps in the brick work, they certainly could be Funnel spiders)
    Last edited by Wooly_Cow; 25th February 2010 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgee View Post
    Are they these?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porrhothele_antipodiana (not to be confused with the OZ funnelweb spiders. These are apparently harmless, but OMG are they creepy or what!
    The picture on the right does certainly look like them. YUCK!!

I can't stand to even look at the picture. Yuck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Try this site to identify them

http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/ResearchAt.../overview.aspx

Not sure it's a Porrhothele antipodiana 'cause they are normally ground dwellers, but if the webs look dense and funnel shaped then it could be.

(just reread your description...as they live in gaps in the brick work, they certainly could be Funnel spiders)
    Ohhhh NIGHTMARES!!

I have a bit of the arachnophobia!!

Maybe I should spray??

They aren't really harmful though are they? All the seem to be doing is trapping insects that might otherwise come into your house!

Personally I think they look quite cool - the way I think spiders should look!

Holy cow, they look disgusting!!!!!

Please, can you keep them all down at your place, I think I would go hysterics if I found one curled up in a towel!

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Holy cow, they look disgusting!!!!!

Please, can you keep them all down at your place, I think I would go hysterics if I found one curled up in a towel!
    It was just awful and he was difficult to kill! I kept squishing at him with the towel (he had already dirtied it with his presence, after all) and he kept on going. He lost a few legs and STILL kept going. And going. And was not really dead when I got the toilet paper after him (and I was loathe to take my eyes off of him to get the toilet paper!!!)

I am certain he is dead now-- as I flushed him.

(I hate when it takes a long time to murder the little creepers as I start to feel guilty about my unsocial behavior! But I kill out of fear!)

That sounds horrible, I hate spiders! So long as they stay in the expansion joints they're not a problem, but I know from bitter experience that they can come in to the house when the weather cools. Bunnings here sells sprays that can be used outside you should be able to get them there too.

We were in Namibia some time ago and our accomodation had a few spiders (we don't like them that much, here at home you don't see anything bigger than a thumbnail).

One spider was trapped in the sink and I tried to flush it away. I tried several times and it just didn't work, it was "playing dead" and floating, and as soon as the water stopped, came back alive again.

I thought the spider had defended it's destiny so well that I helped it up from the sink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast