Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner visas - how long?

Default Partner visas - how long?

I am a Kiwi and my husband is English. We are looking to move back to NZ in November 2008, however we have issues with timing as we are presently in France and will be travelling around Europe between May and Sept.

We're a bit worried about how we will get my husband's visa. Immigration have said it will take up to 6 months for the visa. We understand that we can send an approved copy of the passport and then take the passport in for the visa once it's approved.

Anyone have experience with how long the visas take?

Is it sensible to go without the permanent partner visa for my husband and apply once we get there? He will be working from (NZ) home for his UK company, so we won't have to worry about the visa for job purposes, but won't have a return ticket.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    KiwiTS

We are in the process of applying for a partner visa - in fact we are submitting it this week. I believe from my research that the partner visa can take anything from 4 to 12 weeks (its the quickest visa and shouldn't take 6 months, even if that's what is stated). Also your partner wouldn't be able to go to NZ without a return ticket if he doesn't have a residency visa. He would have to have a return ticket I think.

Hi, I sent my application off on 8th Feb (I'm English my boyfriend is Kiwi) and I got my passport back with the Visa all ready to go last Wednesday (27th March) so 6.5 weeks in total. The Approval in Principle came through at the beginning of March and at this point they did ask for my passport to be sent in if I hadn't already so I'm sure you could do it using the certified copy method you mentioned and send/take the passport in oce you have your approval.

I'm a kiwi, wife's english. We did the temporary working visa route with me sponsering under the family stream. Took 4.5 weeks door to door

Thanks everyone. That makes me feel so much better about the whole thing!

Once they approve you and ask for your passport you have six months in which to supply it, so probably enough time to get yourself to London.

I'm the Kiwi with the British partner - it took us four months for approval in 2007 as my OH needed a medical waiver.

They'll do all they can to get Kiwis home - but remember they like to have proof of the partnership in the form of joint bills etc, so perhaps get those together before you start travelling.

If you go the other route you also don't technically need a return ticket to the UK or Europe: you can get a single ticket to Oz which can be dated six months ahead. Either get a cheapy, or pay for a fully refundable.

Best of luck

It took us four weeks, but we sent in copies of the passport, not the 'real' thing. Since you have to pay the migrant levy anyway between 'approved in principal' and the stickers, I think you should be fine.

Good luck,

Daniela

It took me 4 weeks to get 'approved in principle' after submitting my application and then about 10 days - 2 weeks to get my passport back after after sending it off to get my visa. I was expecting it all to take much longer after what I was told.

Hi...just reading thru this thread.....
    I'm Kiwi, hubby's Canadian. Our impending move back is at the end of the year. We are planning on going with a partnership work visa (I'm guessing WTR) My understanding is it is valid for 2 years. However, there is no way to prove onward travel as it's impossible to buy tix more than a year in advance. For those of you who have taken that route, did you just put N/A in the little box that asks for your intended exit???

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Caniwi View Post
    Hi...just reading thru this thread.....
    I'm Kiwi, hubby's Canadian. Our impending move back is at the end of the year. We are planning on going with a partnership work visa (I'm guessing WTR) My understanding is it is valid for 2 years. However, there is no way to prove onward travel as it's impossible to buy tix more than a year in advance. For those of you who have taken that route, did you just put N/A in the little box that asks for your intended exit???
    Not sure why you would want to go the WTR route instead of going straight for PR (didn't even know that was possible in the partnership category?), have you been together for less than year? Or not lived together?

Just go for the PR, no need to travel onwards anywhere, and you an enter with a one way ticket.

Good luck,

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast