Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No emergency kit

Exclamation No emergency kit

I notice a lot of people, like myself, have no kit and I wondered what would you do in an emergency?

Cheers

Tia

Grab whatever I could get my hands on from the house and panic!

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Grab whatever I could get my hands on from the house and panic!
    Lol - I thought people might not have them as they already had lots of camping stuff, or felt the area where they lived was particularly safe.

But obviously you're as prepared as me! Having said that, just got a couple of kids sleeping bags in the Kathmandu sale - $50 each - not bad. And I've bidded on a wind up torch on Trade Me.

Cheers

Tia

I take comfort in the fact we are on top of a hill.... and not too close to the sea...

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Having said that, just got a couple of kids sleeping bags in the Kathmandu sale - $50 each - not bad.
    Thats something we still need to get......will send OH off to kathmandu again

Unless you plan on having the kit with you at all times I just can't see the point. Yes, I've got an emergency food and water stash, but not much else. The chance of actually being at home when it happens are pretty slim, for me anyway, so I'm not too bothered about my lack of preparedness. Plus, I don't have any children to worry about either, which may make me slightly more lackadaisical about these things...
    I could always go and loot shops if necessary. (Joke - I'd more likely be in the shoe store grabbing all the size 7s if that happened!)

All this emergency "Get Ready" stuff, reminds me of the film Threads - which some may remember seeing at school in the 80s? Scared the pants off half my class, but I just thought I'd rather be one of the dead ones in that situation. (It was about Sheffield being hit by a nuclear bomb - very bleak and had horrid typewritten subtitles with facts about nuclear holocaust.)
    It's available to watch here: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488
    Last edited by KerryS; 13th October 2008 at 10:43 AM.

I sent OH to get some emergency water supplies in Countdown yesterday. He came back with one 2 L bottle of mineral water and a 1 L bottle of sparkling.

hhmm, just as well he has important skills or he'd be the first person eaten in a emergency.

JoolzR

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    I notice a lot of people, like myself, have no kit and I wondered what would you do in an emergency?

Cheers

Tia
    I'm probably one of those people who think the unthinkable will never happen - I'd just grab the child, the dog and the OH and hide I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    I sent OH to get some emergency water supplies in Countdown yesterday. He came back with one 2 L bottle of mineral water and a 1 L bottle of sparkling.

hhmm, just as well he has important skills or he'd be the first person eaten in a emergency.

JoolzR
    Ha ha - that reminds me of when my husband went to the shops to stock up on emergency supplies before a big storm a few months ago. He did come back with some useful things, like a little camping stove, but also loads of candles (we have millions already) nachos, and six bottles of wine!

I can't decide what to be more worried about the emergency or all the people roaming the streets for days afterwards expecting other people to help them out.

I think mainly what I got from that programme was that they will need all limited emergency supplies - firetrucks, ambulance, support staff for those in critical condition, those at the centre or who might be in a demolished building.

What they are asking of everyone else is to look after themselves for 3/4 days so the emergency crews can tend to those who really need it. I'd feel awful walking into a communal emergency area, where others may have injuries or be sick and saying 'errr sorry could you also provide food, water and shelter for a family of five', especially if we were more than capable of looking after ourselves.

I think if nothing else - water, tent and food. It will not only make the difference to your own comfort but also to the help emergency teams can give others.

Ha Ha listen to me, I'm like someone who has just gave up smoking 48 hours ago, after 15 years, and goes round preaching to everyone else about how bad it is.

Cheers

Tia

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast