Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything else I can pre-empt for the MA?

Default Anything else I can pre-empt for the MA?

Our EOI has been selected and now we are getting ready for our medicals on July 19th (OH, 3 kids and me) with a view to PR.

BMI is now 34.2, waist measurement is 101cm (phew!).

Here is my history:

I had open heart surgery when I was 33 in 2008 to replace my aortic valve. Post surgery I piled on a huge amount of weight - I was fairly depressed. In July 2010 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and I weighed 21.5 stones. I am therefore the biggest certainty ever for referral to a MA

Over the past year I have lost 5 stones and I feel really good. I've been eating well and I walk about five miles every day.

My GP has written an open letter stating his opinion that my heart is in good nick, and that my diabetes is under control. I don't take any medication for diabetes, and my last two blood checks across a period of nine months (last one in May - for which I have a copy) have showed cholestrol at 4.7 and long term blood at 5.5 (both are falling). His prognosis is that my diabetes is extremely well controlled and will not cause me any health problems in the foreseeable future.

I went further and booked a private appointment with a top consultant cardiologist. He performed several tests and gave me a fantastic prognosis, saying that my heart will cause me no trouble at all - he included a CD Rom of my echocardiogram (a 3D ultrasound scan of my heart) and an electrocardiogram graph with detailed notes.

I have all of this to hand and I will present it with my X Ray to the panel doctor for my medical in 10 days to give him as much information as possible. I assume he will take more blood and my results will be even more up to date (and better)I will also submit all of this data with my application for residency.

My daughter has Aspbergers, but we have two superb mainstream school reports and confirmation from her form teacher, principal and educational psychologist that she won't need medical treatment or special needs supervision in school, and that she will lead an independent life as an adult.

So, to make a short story long - is there anything else I have forgotten that I should submit with our application, anything else the MA might be looking for in my case, anything that he might come back to me for.

I have a job offer, but it is only open until October 1st, and I'm terrified the whole medical process will ruin our plans. We have every last piece of paperwork together for our application, so I know that the only major hitch will be the medical end of things.

Sorry for rambling on - the tension is murderous, and I suppose I just need a bit of a hug!
    Last edited by Carnegie; 10th July 2011 at 04:02 AM.

((())) HAVE the hug.

I'm afraid you're right and you're going to get referred, so you've got some waiting and finger-crossing ahead of you, but it does sound as if you've done everything you possibly can to pre-empt questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    ((())) HAVE the hug.

I'm afraid you're right and you're going to get referred, so you've got some waiting and finger-crossing ahead of you, but it does sound as if you've done everything you possibly can to pre-empt questions.
    Thanks.

I suppose my biggest worry is that the MA will come back with something saying "Lose 3 stones more" or "Get your blood sugar below 4 and your cholestrol below 3".

I'll have to chop a leg off or something.

If you're unsure about how long it'll take to land before Oct 1st, perhaps you could get a Temp work visa (under 1 year -you don't need a medical)? That way you could start work and let the medical peice play out/see what happens. This is what I'm doing, incase it takes longer than anticipated. I going it alone though don't have to consider the impact of bringing over the whole family as well.

Our 11 year old has Asperger's and we were worried that after the MA they would refer to the Ministry of Education. We sent a letter from his psychologist to say he needed no intervention and we didn't get referred for ORSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    If you're unsure about how long it'll take to land before Oct 1st, perhaps you could get a Temp work visa (under 1 year -you don't need a medical)? That way you could start work and let the medical peice play out/see what happens. This is what I'm doing, incase it takes longer than anticipated. I going it alone though don't have to consider the impact of bringing over the whole family as well.
    I looked at that and suggested it to my employer, but the whole business of advertising, proving there was nobody suitable in NZ etc. was too much hassle, so we have agreed to just push on with visas for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 123laura View Post
    Our 11 year old has Asperger's and we were worried that after the MA they would refer to the Ministry of Education. We sent a letter from his psychologist to say he needed no intervention and we didn't get referred for ORSS.
    I can't tell you how reassuring that is. Thank you!

Our daughter's psychologist clearly states in her letter that she needs no classroom help, and her form teacher details how she started high school in a remedial class but within two weeks they realised they had made a mistake and they moved her in to mainstream where she has done really well. Hopefully that will be enough to clear that particular hurdle!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnegie View Post
    I can't tell you how reassuring that is. Thank you!

Our daughter's psychologist clearly states in her letter that she needs no classroom help, and her form teacher details how she started high school in a remedial class but within two weeks they realised they had made a mistake and they moved her in to mainstream where she has done really well. Hopefully that will be enough to clear that particular hurdle!
    Ours got through about three weeks ago, in London, so I can't see any reason for your daughter to be treated any differently. And my husband and I were both borderline on the BMI thing as well.

It's the anxiety that gets to you in the end isn't it, and once you get through one worry another one starts!

Quote Originally Posted by 123laura View Post
    Ours got through about three weeks ago, in London, so I can't see any reason for your daughter to be treated any differently. And my husband and I were both borderline on the BMI thing as well.

It's the anxiety that gets to you in the end isn't it, and once you get through one worry another one starts!
    Thanks Laura!

Just one week to go to the medical now - we're also waiting to receive our ITA and are just hoping that everything will be submitted by the end of the month.

NZ has never seemed closer and at the same time further away!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I just wanted to say a huge well done for all you've achieved over the past year with getting your weight/BMI down and getting all your medical issues udner control. You will get referred but you have already demonstrated a fantastic attitutde towards improving your health which will also count in your favour. If you can get a letter from your GP stating how proactive and focused you've been, that might help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast