Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How cold is it in NZ ?

This all sounds like my office. Beautiful warm sunny weather in London - I put on 2 jumpers to work in the office, then take them off to go home.
    At least I'm used to it!

"Its a damp cold" is what we were told before we moved. Hard to explain. Kind of like a cloudy rainy fall day in the northern hemisphere. But it feels a lot colder than a "dry cold" with negative temps and snow, but with central heating and a warm toasty house. Also, yes its mild even in winter - so far at least - once the sun is shining. Even today I still see kiwis in shorts around town. As for heating, forget the expensive plug in oil filled radiators or even the heat pumps. At 26 - 30 cents per kWh they are too much. We use electric blankets (shutting off the heat pump before we run into bed). Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Really? I do, or largely did, BCH (before central heating). There's the howling wind coming through the gaps in doors and window frames, moving curtains and ensuring a steady breeze, and there's the condensation pouring down the inside of the windows, forming small rivers and other little eco systems.

Daniela
    Sounds like the place we are currently sub-letting! Got grass growing on the inside of the windows....it`s a good job the views of the South Island are fantastic otherwise I`d be wondering what I was paying rent for.

Can`t wait to move to an insulated, heated and ventilated house in a few weeks. Blissful!

I am living with family in a rental with 2 electric wall heaters! Have 2 oil radiators on thermostats, electric blankets for hubby and I, heat lamps in the bathrooms and our house gets toasty warm in the master bedroom and main living area. I also just invested in a 2nd dehumidifier, 1 for kids room and 1 for living area. I went to a friend's house (old villa) and with 2 fires going for about 1/2 hr it was still 12 degrees in side...brrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    As for heating, forget the expensive plug in oil filled radiators or even the heat pumps. At 26 - 30 cents per kWh they are too much. We use electric blankets (shutting off the heat pump before we run into bed). Just a suggestion.
    This is bad advice, for a number of reasons:

1/ Electric blankets are only designed to warm a bed and should NEVER be on while sleeping.
    2/ If a blanket becomes bunched up or malfunctions there is an overheating or broken wire hazard that could result in creating a fire.
    3/ Because of the above, it is NOT recommended that infants and small children use electric blankets.
    4/ Electric blankets expose users to low levels of electromagnetic fields (EMF), which studies have shown have associated health problems such as headaches, mental health problems, depression and limited information showing possible links to certain cancers (including childhood leukaemia).

For the maybe extra 20c an hour, I think it's more than worth it to use a safe heating method that isn't going to burn or make ill anyone in the family.

"Its a damp cold" is what we were told before we moved. Hard to explain. Kind of like a cloudy rainy fall day in the northern hemisphere. But it feels a lot colder than a "dry cold" with negative temps and snow, but with central heating and a warm toasty house. Also, yes its mild even in winter - so far at least - once the sun is shining. Even today I still see kiwis in shorts around town. As for heating, forget the expensive plug in oil filled radiators or even the heat pumps. At 26 - 30 cents per kWh they are too much. We use electric blankets (shutting off the heat pump before we run into bed). Just a suggestion.
    G-MO is right here!

Check this site from Fire Service http://www.fire.org.nz/Fire-Safety/F...your-home.aspx
    'Worn and old electric blankets can cause electric shock, fire and possibly even death.

• Have your electric blanket tested annually by a qualified electrician.
    • Turn off the electric blanket power when you get into bed.
    • Do not place heavy objects on the bed while the electric blanket is turned on.
    • Ensure electric blanket controls are not twisted or caught between the mattress and base.
    • Make sure the electric blanket is tightly secured and laid flat on the bed.
    • When not in use, store your electric blanket rolled up, NOT folded.
    • Electric blankets are not recommended for use by babies or young children as “bed-wetting” may occur.'

ACC http://www.acc.co.nz/preventing-inju...t-home/PI00002 are basically repeating it.

Also, when paying so much you should change the provider!

How's it goin', eh?

Yes another Canuck with another perspective on "winter". Vancouver is mild in winter: +2C at night and +7C in daytime is common Dec-February. With weeks of no sun and buckets of rain. Keeps the air lovely and fresh and everything green (conversely we dry out in summer and it all goes brown in August/September). But the chill in the air can bite--especially when the sun isn't up until after 08h00. Go up 1000m and it's metres of snow (10m this past winter). But nothing like -40C.

Winters in Sydney Australia could be very brisk, due to the lack of insulation and central heat. One townhouse had 3 exposed walls and the winter gales sucked all the warmth out. Moving into a unit in the middle of a block of flats made a huge difference, however. Won't make that mistake again when we move to Auckland!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

"Its a damp cold" is what we were told before we moved. Hard to explain. Kind of like a cloudy rainy fall day in the northern hemisphere. But it feels a lot colder than a "dry cold" with negative temps and snow, but with central heating and a warm toasty house. Also, yes its mild even in winter - so far at least - once the sun is shining. Even today I still see kiwis in shorts around town.
    Having moved to New England from "Old" England, I think winters here are more comparable to English winters due to the "wet cold". I loved the winters in CT. Below freezing a lot of the time but rarely biting. While the winters feel slightly colder here than in CT, despite actually being warmer according to temperature, I much prefer them to English winters. I'm sat at my desk, looking at the sun fading over the harbour, bright blue skies and a calm sea, and I know where I'd rather be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123