Thread: Eruption

Default Eruption

For those who are here in NZ, did you catch last night's showing of Eruption on TV3? I thought the stereotypes portrayed in the movie is a little over-the-top, but otherwise it's a great production with a good underlying message.

http://dannews.co.nz/2010/09/30/are-...land-eruption/

Eruption's scenario is based upon scientific reasoning that at any time, a new volcano could be created from the hot spot that sits 100km beneath Auckland.

While today's scientists don't expect that an eruption will happen on their watch, the fact is Auckland’s volcanic field is relatively young, with the last eruption producing the iconic Rangitoto only 600 years-ago.

Having watched the first 5 minutes of Earthquake a couple of years ago I decided to give Eruption a miss. Usually very bad acting and lots of scaremongering.

I suppose I should have watched both since I live in Rotorua where we have both earthquakes and volcanoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Bally Bee View Post
    Having watched the first 5 minutes of Earthquake a couple of years ago I decided to give Eruption a miss. Usually very bad acting and lots of scaremongering.

I suppose I should have watched both since I live in Rotorua where we have both earthquakes and volcanoes!
    Too close to home eh? Made you uncomfortable eh?

I bet you've watched heaps of Hollywood movies with weak acting and exaggerated plots. Maybe it just didn't grab you (Earthquake) in an entertainment sense, but it was actually quite realistic (IMO). There was (for example) a scene where two of the cast were shot by a vigilante who thought they were looters. No fuss, no big lead-up, no dramatic music and no death moans. Just a couple of bullets and the characters were gone. Scarily quick and final. Firearm enthusiasts should watch the scene before their kids accidentaly discharge one. But that's an entirely different and far too controversial discussion.

I'm sorry I missed "Eruption".

I 'half' watched it and have to say I endured the most chronically awful acting and stereotypes I have ever had the misfortune to witness. It was dreadful!!

I caught the last half of 'Eruption'. I don't think I missed the over-acting in the first half. Apparently if I mention 'Cliiiiiiiiiiiive!' that might remind people of what it was like. I thought it finished way too quickly and didn't follow through with the aftermath and clean-up enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ourquest View Post
    <snip re: 'Earthquake'>There was (for example) a scene where two of the cast were shot by a vigilante who thought they were looters. No fuss, no big lead-up, no dramatic music and no death moans. Just a couple of bullets and the characters were gone. Scarily quick and final. Firearm enthusiasts should watch the scene before their kids accidentaly discharge one. But that's an entirely different and far too controversial discussion.
    That's the part of 'Earthquake' that stuck with me. Two good samaritans shot and killed instantly by a vigilante who thought they were druggies trying to score a fix (they had broken into a pharmacy to try to find insulin for a diabetic who had given them shelter).

Unfortunately it took the Canterbury quake for me to beef up our emergency supplies, but we now have supplies in both cars, too, plus two small kits in the house (in case one part of the house caves in).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4317...l-warns-expert

While Cantabrians may have upskilled themselves on surviving earthquakes since September's 7.1 shake, North Islanders are being told to bone up on volcanoes.

An eruption is coming, warns GNS Science volcanologist Dr Graham Leonard, and anyone living pretty much north of Wellington should be prepared.

I've just finished reading Pompei if that counts?

I remmeber from our recce when we went to Tongaririo there was a volcanic eruption information display that talked about what to do. Showed the different types of lava flow, includeing the speed that they travel (several hundered miles per hour in some cases). Also the advice to move to the top of the hill not the valley (no, really?). However at that point I stopped reading as I was pretty confident that I couldn't run uphill at 600mph, and so 'phase 2' survival wasn't going to be an issue for me. I may have missed the point of the display.