Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: life so far

Default life so far

i was interested to see how anyone else is getting on since arriving here.has anyone else found it tough to settle down.ive been here 10 months and struggled to get work.im still having doubts about doing the right thing.am i the only on thinking this way or is it quiet common.i love the sunshine,the scenery.hate the lack of jobs and poor pay when you get one.

I hear you. I just posted a much longer version of the same comment. Be happy to commiserate if you are in Auckland area

Quote Originally Posted by simonrichardson View Post
    i was interested to see how anyone else is getting on since arriving here.has anyone else found it tough to settle down.ive been here 10 months and struggled to get work.im still having doubts about doing the right thing.am i the only on thinking this way or is it quiet common.i love the sunshine,the scenery.hate the lack of jobs and poor pay when you get one.
    Thanks for your reply Sue.I live in nelson.As i say great sunshine.Not today but most days.Ive not been slack since ive beenbusy in the garden and attempting to hold this rather ramshackle house together. Thank goodness i bought my tools.In truth i suppose not selling my flat in the uk has not helped matters.I feel as though i have a foot in both camps.Im surprised youve found it hard in aukland getting work.We wonder whether in fact we should have gone to a big city however my partner comes from here and we also owned a property here.Tricky sometimes knowing what to do.Im hoping to get my permanent residence next year and in that case we could allways return at a latter time in our life.The worlds to big a place to be unemployed and just treading water as things are at the moment.Watch this space

I have been looking for work for 2 months in Auckland and have yet to get anything. I have applied for all sorts of jobs on different contracts temp/seasonal/part-time.....

Luckily my partner has secured a full-time job, would be considered a very good job, highly skilled back home but the pay is shockingly low. We are only renting so no serious commitment but we are seriously thinking about leaving.
    It just doesnt feel right here. Not very happy.

Thanks for your reply Sue.I live in nelson.As i say great sunshine.Not today but most days.Ive not been slack since ive beenbusy in the garden and attempting to hold this rather ramshackle house together. Thank goodness i bought my tools.In truth i suppose not selling my flat in the uk has not helped matters.I feel as though i have a foot in both camps.Im surprised youve found it hard in aukland getting work.We wonder whether in fact we should have gone to a big city however my partner comes from here and we also owned a property here.Tricky sometimes knowing what to do.Im hoping to get my permanent residence next year and in that case we could allways return at a latter time in our life.The worlds to big a place to be unemployed and just treading water as things are at the moment.Watch this space
    Simon,
    Since you just hit 5 posts, I can't PM you, but I am also in Nelson and would be happy to get together to chat - we have been here 3 years and can identify with the challenges of finding work etc.

We live in Atawhai - in which end of town are you?

sorry to hear youve had absolutely nothing.whats your background.mines in lighting sound but very little of that here in nelson.probably should have joined you guys in aukland but my partners from here.i used to earn 400 dollars a day in london.now im lucky if im working if i can get that in a week.it wont get any better so we are going to reassess next year.it would be ok if we were retired but although the lifestyle is wonderful its only acceptable if you are bringing in enough cash to enjoy it.dont want to be a downer but our plans are after i get permanent residence next year well shoot off back to the uk . maybe well come back at another time in our life but for now we need to continue to bring in maximum cash till we retire or just cant stand that crazy place any longer!dont know about you guys but it cost a small fortune to get this visa that i wouldnt want to throw it away.

Default thanks we live by the hospital in franklyn street

Quote Originally Posted by dbonnett View Post
    Simon,
    Since you just hit 5 posts, I can't PM you, but I am also in Nelson and would be happy to get together to chat - we have been here 3 years and can identify with the challenges of finding work etc.

We live in Atawhai - in which end of town are you?
    thanks we live in franklyn street by the hospital.phone 5468132.my names simon.be great to bounce some ideas off people in a similiar position.ill look forward to hearing from you

thanks we live in franklyn street by the hospital.phone 5468132.my names simon.be great to bounce some ideas off people in a similiar position.ill look forward to hearing from you
    Cool - I just sent you a private message with my details..
    -db-

Hi Everybody,

I have migrated to UK 4 years ago and I can say that took 1 or 2 years to settle down, feel at home and find good jobs.

It seems that all your experience abroad does not count in the same way, but once we have started working in UK, we had tripled our salaries in 4 years.

Now we have got our NZ Visa and are just expecting the same thing. No high hopes for the first 2 years, as we already know it takes some time to completely settle and how hard it can be at the begining.

I just wish you all guys keep up, don't give up your dreams for the obstacles. It all gets better with time and you will find your place in NZ.

Cheers xx

Life is short and you must do what makes you happy, even if it means living someplace else. But first just think of all the time, work, and money spent to get to NZ. As this forum proves there are thousands who would jump at the opportunity you have to live in such a place. Perhaps some more time will make you feel better about your new life in NZ. I wish you the best whatever you decide to do and hope you find happiness either in NZ or the UK, though if you’re in NZ next April I’ll buy you a beer at a pub of your choice in Nelson!
    I hope the economy and job market improves by next year when we plan to arrive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast