Thread: Question about student visa

Default Question about student visa

Hi all,

My daughter is 5 and I'm applying the Student Visa (INZ1012) for her.
    I've downloaded on the immigration website a checklist for this visa.

In the checklist I saw the following:

EVIDENCE FROM YOUR NEW ZEALAND EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE
    An unconditional offer of place from a New Zealand educational provider detailing

Does anybody knows if this is needed?

My idea was to get the student visa and once we're there, start searching for a proper school.

Cheers, J

From what I understand (and our experience), you need to apply for a place in one of the schools, then they send you offer of acceptance, followed by paying fees and securing a spot and then you apply for Student Visa - hence the requirement on the Student Visa form INZ1012.

Alternatively, you can add your daughter as visitor on your visa form and once you are here then you can apply for her Student Visa. This was something advised to us by visa officer when we first contemplated on moving to NZ. Its always better to speak to one of the case officer and see if this is still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    From what I understand (and our experience), you need to apply for a place in one of the schools, then they send you offer of acceptance, followed by paying fees and securing a spot and then you apply for Student Visa - hence the requirement on the Student Visa form INZ1012.

Alternatively, you can add your daughter as visitor on your visa form and once you are here then you can apply for her Student Visa. This was something advised to us by visa officer when we first contemplated on moving to NZ. Its always better to speak to one of the case officer and see if this is still valid.
    Thanks for the tip. It does sound logical to get the visitor visa first, come to NZ and explore the school and then apply for the student visa.
    I'll see if I can get in tough with a case officer.

We did that visa in 2009 and things may have changed since then but we didn't need to know which school our then 8 yr would be attending. We just applied for a student visa with our talent/work visa.

My daughter had student visas in 2013 and 2014. I didn't supply evidence of acceptance. I knew what school she would be attending because of where we were zoned for her to attend. I just put we're zoned for this school, so she will be attending there. One application was submitted outside of NZ, and the second application was submitted in NZ.

Hi. You definitely don't need an offer of place fro a domestic student visa for a child to attend school in NZ. You only need this for "foreign fee-paying students". There is no point whatsoever in applying for a visitor visa first. I have done many such applications for my clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. You definitely don't need an offer of place fro a domestic student visa for a child to attend school in NZ. You only need this for "foreign fee-paying students". There is no point whatsoever in applying for a visitor visa first. I have done many such applications for my clients.
    Thanks for the clear explanation